Comb on top of, but not using foundation

I just started a new hive about 3 weeks ago. Carnolians. On inspection today the queen is laying and lots of brood. Unfortunately, 2 frames were not very close together and the bees have built comb on top of foundation, but not using the foundation. The pictures show what I am talking about. What should I do? The stray comb has no brood.

That’s a nice chunk of comb - you could consider removing it in a big piece and rubber banding it into place in a foundationless frame. Make sure you retain the top-bottom orientation if you go this route.

It looks like it probably has large cells - drone or honey comb - so you might want to place that frame toward the outside of the box or above the queen excluder so that you don’t get extra drones, if that is a concern for you.

Or, shake the bees off, slice away that protrusion, then take it inside and get a wax-dipped wick ready. Roll the comb flat with a rolling pin, then tightly roll up the wick inside it - and you have a lovely candle :star_struck:

1 Like

Looks like your plastic foundation isn’t wax coated and bees often don’t like it. The comb you there is their typical response. I’d use that wax and any other you have to melt and rub into the plastic. They’ll build out nice straight comb then.

1 Like

Well I hope I did the right thing. I opened the hive today to remove the sheet of burr comb. Unfortunately, since I last looked there is now some brood in the cells. Not too much, but some. Of course I could not see the underside of the burr comb that was on the foundation side. So I don’t know how much brood was on that side. The frame was also loaded with bees. I inspected the hive and found the queen on another frame. So I replaced the frame with the full sheet of burr comb with a new foundationless frame and squeezed all the frames together. No gaps this time. I put the frame with the sheet of burr comb and loads of bees on the ground in front of the hive. I am assuming that the bees will desert that frame and eventually go back in the hive. Was this the right move?