Bees in the super

this is my first hive so unsure, and google just showed me swarming. 2 weeks ago when I left for work my super was FULL of busy bees working. I got back yesterday and there are hardly any bees in there. The middle frames look almost fully capped and the 2 outside frames look like they are starting to get capped. Is it normal for them to leave the super once they think they are done? I haven’t had a chance to open the hive yet, and the entrance seem as busy as it should be. Im just curious if this is normal behavior.

Hi Heath, welcome to the forum. I’m inclined to agree with Google. The only reason apart from swarming I can think of is when cold weather sets in, which causes a lot of bees to leave the honey super in order to pack around the brood to help to keep it warm.

I think you should do a brood check to see what’s going on down there. Look for evidence of swarming.

Thanks. Ill check it this weekend. It has been pretty cold that last few days

1 Like

Hi Heath and welcome! My guess is also that your colony has swarmed. It is true that bees will cluster around the brood as Jeff explained, but unless their population was already reduced (such as by swarming) that would be very unlikely at this time when nectar flow and bee numbers are peaking.

Let us know what you find when you inspect - pics are very helpful if you can get some!

so I went into the hive today. From what I can tell it looked good. plenty of brood, larva, and eggs. I was also able to find the queen. they have started to build comb on the side walls though. It is a new hive that I installed at the end of April. I found what looked like one queen cell but it was open and empty. I didn’t see any other.

Hi Heath. Lots of capped brood, looks good. Make sure to remove the burr comb from the bottom of the frame as well as from side of the box. Keep your frames together and centered in the box. This will help reduce comb buildup on the side of the box and leave room to manipulate frames from either side.

thanks. Ill have to go back in in a few days and do that.