A few weeks back I did something really stupid and thinking back I am surprised it hadn’t happened sooner.
By habit I light my smoker at the back of my car but this time must have slipped up big time. I got the smoker really going well and closed the back of my car and began working in my apiary. I must have pumped a spark into my car and by the time I saw it was burning it was too late to save it. I went through 2 powder fire extinguishers till the fire brigade was on the scene.
i got the car open and when using the extinguishers I was pulling out gear that was burning. I got burning plastic stuck to both hands but still tried to cut down the fire.
When the ambulance arrived I was in a bad way and they had to cut off by bee suit and other clothing. Off to hospital for 2nd and 3rd degree burns on both hands and 1st degree to my face. I am now out of hospital and in for a couple of months to mend and minus a 3 week old car.
Guys, and girls, take a lot of care in lighting and use of smokers and don’t become complacent as I did, obviously. The fire brigade, ambo’s and hospital were brilliant in their care of me but I should have taken a lot more care.
Thanks to those on the forum aware of what had happened and offers of help and good vibes