Brood frame replacement

Hi, I want to replace a frame in my hive because of damage and age. The frame has brood on it, what are my options? Thanks in advance

1 Like

What I would do is place it above a QE, directly above the bee mass. This is after removing any drone brood from the frame. When I do that, I always flank it with fresh frames of foundation or fully drawn combs. I think those extra frames help the bees to keep that brood warm.

cheers

2 Likes

I agree with @JeffH. It only needs to be above the queen excluder for 3 weeks maximum. If you don’t want to do that right now, pick the frame with least brood/food on it, and accept the loss. Jeff’s method is obviously preferable. :wink:

2 Likes

I’m going to do this method for the frames I thought I put together well but the bottom of the frame didn’t like my wood glue and staple. I think I’ll put on a 3rd brood box with the queen excluder under it and add fresh frames in the lower brood boxes so I can rotate out my poorly put together frames. I think I can repair them and put them back. Thanks for the topic! :smiley:

3 Likes

Plan A - Jeff’s method
Plan B - Dawn’s
Plan C - cut out brood comb and feed to local chickens (C is for chicken :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::chicken:)

5 Likes

It feels great to have a plan. HI Eva! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Martha!! Missed ya, how’s it going?

2 Likes

Have your bees wintered OK Martha?..If I remember correctly you had 3-5 hives and you seemed to be doing a concientious job…

1 Like

HI Doug1, My hives are doing pretty good except 1 in which I worry if it’s alive or dead. I have 4 FH’s and am still hanging in there. This year will be better now that we know how to work around lock downs etc. How are your hives doing? Thank you for asking! :smiley:

Hi Miss Eva! It’s going ok all things considered. But I have missed the flow hive forum and all the wonderful people who contribute to it. Last year was a whole story of which everyone I know suffered through. Last May we had a tornado which caused a 4 day power out at my home which destroyed my hydroponic garden and everything in my freezers. On top of that my bees swarmed like crazy until I was crazy. I spent the whole summer obtaining parts for a back up generator as I take care of my Mom. That’s how I strayed from the forum. I simply had to much jelly for my biscuits to handle. :smiley: but am now on track.

How are you and yours? I hope you and your hives are doing well. :smiley: Thanks for asking and the warm welcome back to the forum. :smiley:

1 Like

Oh what an awful time you’ve had Martha!! I am sorry. I’m glad you and your mom have come through it in one piece at least. And glad you’re back at beekeeping and here with us!

Not much to report here. Just hanging in there, hanging in :sweat_smile: Happy that spring is around the corner :clap::blush::cherry_blossom::honeybee::two_hearts:

1 Like

I won’t be able to take a look at them until after they have their cleansing flight as daytime temps in the north are still averaging below freezing. I installed some real time beehouse temperature and humidity sensors that I can call up on my cell phone. I can see on the graphs something is creating a lot of heat inside the beehouse…and I sweep out the dead bees on the floor on a weekly basis.

Thats the ventilation van kicking in and out trying to keep them cool.