Honeyflow.com | FAQ's | Community |

Brood frames - To Glue or Not to Glue?

Great video by Martin for assembling the entire hive. Thank you!

…but after viewing Louise’s equivalent for assembling the brood frames, we realized she had glued the joints where Martin (and we) had not.

Should we expect the frames to be less durable as a result?

Thank you.

I don’t Glue. Our Club attitude is if you need to replace part of the frame you can’t without destroying the frame.

I don’t glue either. The bees glue stuff together just fine with no help from us even when we wish they wouldn’t.

They will be fine without glue.

Jstrano,

I wouldn’t be concerned about the glue job but i personally GLUE mine. I use the same non-toxin glue I use to make laminated cutting boards. My dad n I always did that back in the 1950’s n 60’s. So now that I’m back at it. I keep some of my own ideas n assemble stuff with glue n nails just like the old days with my dad.

. If mine come apart … they were ready to be trashed ! So I Vote for GLUE ! But don’t sweat it ! :wink:. Just keep at it n enjoy ! Gerald

Thank you all for this feedback.

I glue all of my frames. The reasons are two-fold.
Brood frames, I would think, are likely to stay a bit more static in the brood box becoming quite glued down by the bees. I’d hate to be trying to pry one loose and have the top-bar separate.

In my non-Flow supers, I don’t want a honey frame to fling apart in an extractor or come apart under weight.

Hi Bobby, I never glue. Nailing is normally sufficient. However if one does come apart, it’s never in the extractor, it’ll be because the bottom bar got too stuck to the QX. That’s easy fixed with a pilot hole to start & a 40mm flat head galvanized nail.

I got a hold of a compressor and a staple gun for my last batch of frames.

1 3/4" staples are gloriously good.
No more glue.

Hi Bobby, I was thinking about a staple gun while I was typing my message. I think they’re all the ‘go’. I have a lot of frames that other people have stapled & they never come apart.

Jeff, the “K’CHUNK” sound when doing it all the while knowing that baby is never coming apart is quite gratifying.

I glue the beejeebers out of them. Once the bees propolise them in place and you need to pry them out with the hive tool you learn your lesson. For $2.00 per frame I’m not replacing a frame part, I’m replacing the frame.