Can someone identify this bee?

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone knew what bee or insect this is. It’s a lot larger than the honey bee but looks very similar.

1 Like

It just looks like a queen honey bee to me on my small screen! But what would she be up to…? And it’s hard to see the wing length. How long is your little friend?

2 Likes

Perhaps a leaf cutter bee?
leafcutter-petero-1

1 Like

At first I thought that as well but the wings seem too big and it was at least 40mm long. It was massive.

I have a lot of those cruising around d the yard and they are a lot smaller.im worried its a giant honey bee which is a risk to our bees because they can carry mites.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it carrying mite or not, a better closer photo and in sunlight might help to identify it.
Just as a matter what mite is it you are worried it might be carrying Ben? I can’t see it being a problem as it wouldn’t get past the guard bees at your hive even if wanted to.
Cheers

1 Like

Thank you Peter, I only got worried because the only bee I could find that matched it was the Giant honey bee from Asia and there is an Australian Bio security alert for that bee, they say it carries mites and is a risk of affecting our bees. I sent the photos to them hopefully its fine and just a honey bee that ate some steroids hahaha.

1 Like

Hopefully its not invasive!
Affording to link there are 40 species, 6-15mm
https://www.aussiebee.com.au/beesinyourarea.html

1 Like