Can you harvest Bees wax from you honeyflow hive

I haven’t gotten my flowhive yet. But I was wondering if your still able to harvest the comb from it.

Sure Daniel, the bees will make comb in the brood box which you can harvest at different times of the year or when you cycle out brood frames. Otherwise put another box on with frames for them to build wax into. Depends on what you are seeking, wax or honeycomb. That’s the nuts n bolts, of course there is more to it. But it’s definitely possible. Cheers.

3 Likes

Or get a hybrid Flow super. :wink:

2 Likes

The Flow Hive Classic is designed so you won’t have excess wax left over in the Super, you will just get honey straight out of your hive.

But, there is a Flow Hive Hybrid - this has half Flow Frames and half standard frames:
https://www.honeyflow.com/shop/flow-hive/flow-hive-hybrid-araucaria-3-frame/p/348

You will get honey straight out of your hive, and also honeycomb honey :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you keep a close eye on your bees you can take a flow frame out and put a standard frame in to get the wax. This is what I did in my first year and they built the frame out in 1.5wks. At that point I took the wax and switched the flow frame back in to avoid issues with burr comb etc. I then got a hybrid super to avoid the issues that come with this approach.

Will they make comb in the roof at all?

They can do… YES… :grinning:

1 Like

Nice would be good to have some comb

If you took the inner cover off they may starting building comb up there a little sooner.

You would do much better to just put a shallow (or ideal or WSP) super on top of the Flow super, with foundationless frames to get them to build neat and tidy comb honey. It gets very messy when they build in the roof - not an easy harvest. It is quite possible to put a super on top of the Flow super - they will use the traditional frames nicely if the Flow super is almost full.

1 Like

Daniel ! Just curious … is this your first season of Beekeeping ?! If this is your first season … just be happy your bees build two deep boxes of comb ! And fill with enough honey supplies to winter over. Doubt unless your very lucky :four_leaf_clover: that you’ll harvest any honey n other than a scrap or two new wax your first season.

Hmm :thinking:… why to you ask about harvesting beeswax ? Any scraps should be carefully saved to press or rub into the Flow-frames to help draw your girls up into the Flow-frames when colony is strong enough n a great push of foraging is happening. Don’t be in a hurry n get the cart ahead of the horse. Lots to learn n often the learning curve can be interesting.

Wishing you a great season with the arrival of your new Flow-hive.

Gerald

4 Likes

So l should block the feeder hole off?

Thank you very much for your response, I am going to start beekeeping this June. I have no idea how much honey I will get it or very much about the other useful thing I may get from the hive. I was very curious and was also wondering if there was anyway I would be able to get a pollen extractor from the hive.

Thank you so much for you detailed response

A pollen trap is generally built into the base of your hive, if you buy a Flow hive then you really should stick with the Flow base as it has a built in slope to allow the honey to drain from the back of the hive. I’d put it in the “lets wait and see” category.

1 Like

Hi Chris, while you colony is young the bees are unlikely to venture up through the inner cover hole but as they grow, chances are that burr comb will be deposited into the roof space… so “Yes” I would close it off.

2 Likes

Yes, if you are not feeding. :blush:

1 Like

@Daniel_Natareno as @Gerald_Nickel said, don’t get ahead of yourself if this is your first season (and you’ve indicated it is). Given you’re in Canada I’d suggest spending most of your first season learning how to identify when your bees need feeding, when they’re healthy and busy, and how to prepare your bees for the winter that lay ahead. It might also pay to learn how to do a sugar roll test to check for varroa.

Those of us down here in Oz (and, I assume, good chunks of California, Texas, and Florida) have the pleasure of not suffering through your Winter…

3 Likes

Daniel, yes … a pollen trap can be added to a Flow-hive setup. I’ve successful used one on two of my Flow-hives ( an 8 n a 10 frame wide setup…

Let me say !! Don’t get ahead of yourself even though it is possible. With a June startup there … your going to be pushing your luck at just getting the hive built up with comb n winter supplies.

Your girls/colony is going to be pushed I’m guessing to the limit this first season getting established. I’d spend this first season on basic beekeeping (successful) then next year launch into pollen traps n comb collection.

B.T.W. What’s your general location up there across the border. Canada is a huge place n seasons more severe usually than mine out here in Puget Sound foothill SE of Seattle. With long wet cloudy winters often our girls need feed … so you have much to learn well before jumping too many rungs on the Beekeeping ladder bro. You want to keep your bees survival priority !

There are many many things to accomplish in Beekeeping but without getting a season or so under your belt failure n the discouragement that can come with it might overwhelm you … Daniel … we want you to succeed not be one more startup that dropped off the failure side …

Find yourself a bee club, mentor n some basic classes. Thus me … my mentor, a collage research beekeeper is my best help when my brain or experience is limited. With pesticides, draught, pests (like varroa mites), short seasons n more learn about … pollen n comb harvest are lower on the Beekeepers totem pole to learn …

Ooooh here’s several pix’s of my older n newer pollen traps. The professional beekeeper I help each summer uses a lot of pollen traps but the colonies must be strong enough because your stealing part of their important supply.

Cheers n stay in touch,
Gerald

PS Bro … do you have a have stand built yet. And how about posting a pix or two of your intended apiary site or is it buried still in snow ? I’d order the second 8 frame deep n get it built too. Lots to do !

3 Likes