Can you tell me what these are?

Hi. We lost both of our hives this past winter. We are just taking them apart and doing a very sad post mortem. Both of the clusters seem to be in very good condition and there was plenty of honey. And when I found the queen was about 7 inches away from the cluster sitting all alone. Heartbreaking.

When we lifted the bottom board, this was underneath the screen. https://youtu.be/9e1EQF2qbRw See the movie.

We also found what looks like something waxy and egg-like in the cells, and also this suspicious little big. could you please help me identify these things. Thank you!

The white stuff is probably crystallized sugar.

1 Like

Agree with Dawn, sugar crystals and the bug looks harmless, probably sheltering in the warmth of the hive.

Hi, the bug looks like a harmless lady bug.

Hi Jon,

Dawn has answered your question about white stuff in cells. Your bottom board looks pretty nasty but normal. Guess that mite or two are croaked/dead ! I try to clean the SBBoard slider once a month in the winter n every other (usually) during the active months. I learn a lot viewing the slider without opening up the hive. I’m trying to inspect every other week now n check the sliders on the other week.

I also lost several hives to varroa mites. 2 last early autumn n one more finally surcumed late winter/early spring. That’s a real bummer at best but makes me analyze my notebook entrances n data. I rather not make that mistake if possible too often.

The rest of last winter into our cool wet spring I’ve been sliding in a sheet of new white paper n pulling 24 hours later every two weeks as a mite drop check. Nothing seen yet in my two healthy surviving hives. I’m not nhieve enough to think a few mites are upstairs already but still too low of count to matter. Weather n brood should improve soon so I can administer a true (sugar-roll) mite test end of April.

I’ve got to be more watchful this season n with last season under my belt … A few changes n guessing my inspections will be more n more fruitful as I gain more experience.

I have gotten four new Nuc’s (pricy replacements) to replace the three die-outs n gaining one additional apiary colony. So learning n moving on. Lots to figure out but every new endevour has its learning curve!

Good luck n take care,
Gerald

I am extremely prone to motion sickness, and unfortunately I couldn’t tolerate the movement of the camera in the movie for long enough to get a good look at the bugs running around. They didn’t look like ants from what I could catch from the video, but I have seen ant nests looking very much like that underneath the SBB. As Jerry says, if you don’t regularly clean under the screen, it is a haven for all kinds of undesirables, including wax moths, small hive beetles, ants etc. The bees actually do a superb job of cleaning the hive floor if it is solid. That is why I am moving away from screened bottoms now - my 2 non-Flow hives are on solid floors. My Flow hive has the slider in the upper slot all of the time, so there is no space for freeloading squatters to make a home. :smile: