Capilano Honey on 7:30 report tonight- Adulterated?

If bees were over fed sugar or corn syrup would that make an adulterated result? Maybe that is the unadulterated, but untypical honey?

That is an interesting question. At what point does feeding sugar syrup affect the honey quality. I only feed syrup when there is very little honey in the frames and feed only till a dearth is over.
Welcome to the forum where there is lots of information and advise
Regards

Its not honey Danielle. If you have had to feed your bees you should take it out when a flow is on so you get honey, especially if you are selling it. Another way is to put some food colouring in your syrup so you can see where it is.

Cheers
Rob.

1 Like

Rob,

I agree that is what should be done, but plans don’t always align with Mother Nature’s schedule. So, a few days of syrup may be stored while the flow hits. Perhaps, syrup that was stored in brood boxes gets moved up to supers.

The report broke down bad honey into adulterated and unadulterated with untypical results. My understanding is adulterated honey is where other stuff was added intentionally after extraction—definitely not honey. I was wondering what made the untypical result.

Along those lines, I was wondering if the sucrose is partially digested by the bees to glucose and fructose before storage. I don’t know if this bee processed, but not flower sourced product would pass the C4 test and fail NMR. The C4 test looks at sugar and protein ratios.

Anyway, I’m not defending bad honey practices. Capilano’s response to NMR testing is deplorable. NMR is a much better suited test than C4 (mass spectrometry).

Cheers

1 Like

That’s why food colouring goes in any syrup I have to use. Its fun if you make each batch a different colour then watch them move it around.

Cheers
Rob.

4 Likes

I’ll have to do this with the kids sometime.

3 Likes