Cleaning and sterilizing old hive? keep the old honey come structures or remove for new colonies to build

Hi there folks my friend has let me hold on to here flow hive to give bee keeping a go, the hive needs a little TLC so I wanted to start with cleaning the hive and them move on to oiling the hive an make it ready fore some new bees to move in. Inside the hive on the bottom box where there is a lot of honeycomb structures from previous hive/hives. I soaked all these hives in a big thing of water with some hydrogen peroxide to try and remove any mold or pathogens as there was also some cockroaches, spiders and some tiny beetles/bugs living in the holes. My questions is there any reason to keep the old honeycomb or do you remove it and let the new bees build it? second Q is hydrogen peroxide enough to sterilize or wash? Third Q is it ok to submerge soak the old honeycomb to drown out bugs and pest? forth Q Should I clean out the plastic cells and if so how? fifth Q what type of oil do you recommend for oiling the hive with? Last question for pest control me friend had some little traps made with something sticky on it in the bottom of the hive any other recommendations for pest traps etc? Cheers in advance for any guidance

1 Like

Following as I’m keen to know as well.

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum! It’s great that you’re here asking these good questions before jumping in. I highlighted this particular detail from your post because it sounds to me like this hive was left empty/abandoned for awhile. Did your friend explain what happened to the colony?

I would be cautious and do away with any leftover comb in that hive. You can cut & scrape it all out for rendering if you want the wax, then toast the wood frames with a blow torch. I’d also give the boxes a good scrub with a bleach solution and leave them to dry in the sun.

As for the Flow frames, a few of our members have posted about disassembling and cleaning bad-looking ones successfully with a small pressure washer. They can also be irradiated once (maybe twice??) to rid them of AFB spores, but I would only take this step if I knew they’d been exposed. I haven’t tried cleaning mine yet as they don’t seem to need it, but all I know is - don’t use the dishwasher (eh, @busso ?:wink:)

There are extensive discussions about all your questions including the Flow frame cleaning tips here, just plug your terms into the search area and you’ll find lots more to read :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Hi Chris,
I treated the outside of my Flow Hive with a combination of 50% Diggers Boiled Linseed Oil and 50% Turpentine. Gave me a lovely finish. Exterior only though.

1 Like

Usually old comb is a major bonus in starting a hive. The queen can start to lay immediately and the limited resources of the colony can be put to laying brood instead of drawing out comb.
BUT… your old comb comes from a colony that has failed, and this might have been because of disease. Some diseases are caused by spores which are very difficult to completely clean and eradicate.
If possible it would be worthwhile to chat with the previous owner to try to determine the previous history of the hive. Unless you are happy that it died out from non disease causes, I would be hesitant to reuse the same comb in the new hive.

1 Like

thanks for all the help I think im on the right track for now :slight_smile:

1 Like

bought the oil and turps would you give it a double ble coat?

I didn’t, but Perth is a fairly dry climate.
I’d give it just the one coat for now because it should soak right in and then maybe another touch up in a few months time before winter. That’s what I’m doing.
You can do it in situ because you’re not standing at the front of the hive in the bee-line.
Post some pics when you’re finished. I’m sure it will all look wonderful.

1 Like