Cock-a-doodle-doo!

Hello!!! Any chicken people out there? I was just wondering what the overlap between bee-people and chicken-people might be :slight_smile:

We live with a varying number of lovely ladies and gentlemen in the garden, and one house chicken (our internet celebrity.)

So… What about you? Please share!

2 Likes

Hello @OliviaFox,

Yes, we have chooks. I have just built a new chicken palace for the new girls coming in spring. Still got two of the old girls, who have the old state house. But a nice run where the bees also live. Life is sweet! Paul

1 Like

Hi Olivier, we’re pretty close to getting some chooks. We’ve been offered the use of a portable chook house that holds up to 3 chooks. Also we’ve been offered some free chooks. It’s up to me now to pick them up.

1 Like

Ok so I have posted this photo previously but I thought what the hey. :wink:

4 Likes

Flock of 7 hens here, different breeds - here’s a recent pic of young pullets I got as day-olds in June:

1 Like

Hi !
Yip ! Ive got 8 chicken n they keep all the dead bees cleaned up under the hives.

. Everybody want my eggs too. But only have a few extras each week.

Ta ta,

Gerald

2 Likes

Interesting thread :slight_smile:
I have 6 chickens in a pen next to the bees but not in with them. I was always worried they would try and sit on the hive and knock them over, or annoy the bees & get stung. I am about to expand my chicken area & am now thinking maybe having them together is a good call as they will help keep the wax moth & ants down. Is the general consensus to keep the hives in with the chooks or not? Decisions decisions…

Cheers,

Julia

We’ve never had any issues! The bees & birds have been in the same backyard since April, and though the chickens are curious and often peck around the hives (which are on hive stands), the bees don’t seem to bother them or even be interested in them. I’ve seen a few bees land on the chooks, and then fly off. Maybe because our girls are heavy-feathered?

Gerald, you have an Araucana! Funny looking bird, but great looking eggs. And, yes, everybody wants the blue/green eggs!! We use to have a beautiful little Sussex X Araucana - looked like a Sussex with no comb, but laid blue eggs and had the best nature.

Ours live together just fine. Neither one bothers the other. Though I don’t know how much wax moth the hens would eat. They certainly don’t stop coddling moth getting into my apple trees! Chooks also don’t stop the ants (we have those tiny ones. Millions of them).

My advice is to expand the chicken area. Think later.

My entire backyard except my veggie garden is there RUN … Then during the winter I pull my garden fence n they have that area too. That’s a 40 by 65’ run … Thát more than plenty for my 7 hens n 1 young rooster.

Been raising all kinds all my life… Rhode Island Reds, White Leghorns (nerves girls), barred rock n more. Even a few banties when I was a kid. I enjoy the green layers but try to stay away from fancy breeds. My are just eggs for myself, family n close friends if I have spares.

Thankz Bro for the note … Refreshing…

Gerald . I teach ESL some in my spare time.

1 Like

I have a flock of 8 hens right now. We just moved to 2.4 acres but still have too many predators to let them roam about on their own. We’ve lost 2 just to feral cats and so we had to pen them up with a screened roof to keep the hawks out. About a foot of chicken wire along the button to prevent coons, foxes, or coyotes from digging in. Good times! What we do for fresh eggs lol
Tim

Hi,

When I was a kid we had a large strong wired fenced area for our 50 plus hens n roaster. But each night we locked them up. We had weasels, coins, skunks, etc I live in a more Urban area now … The city has moved out to us. We still have predictors n lock them up but the yard is completely tall fences for day romping. They get shut up each evening. Been there done that when I was a kid.

Ta ta,
Gerald