Cold night temps here in the norther US this week

My poor bees, Spring is really taking its time. Temps are dipping into the mid 30s overnight this week. Just installed them in the middle of April.

Welcome to the forum Mark. There is lots of reading here and folks happy to help you along in your journey into bee keeping.
With your temps that cold resist the urge to take a quick look to see how they are going. That could be fatal for the colony.
I looked at your profile to get some understanding of your climate but it only says your in the USA so that is a bit vague for getting future help when climate is often to be considered in giving good advice.
Cheers

1 Like

Not here. Temps here dip down to the 60s overnight. So I agree with @Peter48, at least a state location would help. Don’t worry, most beekeepers are not stalkers! :blush:

2 Likes

Hi there Mark! A fellow Pennsylvanian I see :blush::clap:
It’s been a very cool spring indeed. On the good side, flowers are lasting longer, but then there’ve been so many days the bees can’t get out to forage, and such cold nights they have to go back into cluster. Did you start your colony from a nuc or a package?

From a package, watching them over the past few days, I have noticed a good bit of pollon coming in. I have been feeding them sugar syrup and there is lots of comb built. Hopuffuly stay warmer soon.

1 Like

Despite the cold temps here in the northeast, it has been a record year for swarms. I’ve captured 9 so far, some my own and some from swarm calls.
Honey production looks good so far: My two mini frame hives have comb honey that is capped and ready to eat/sell :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, comb honey ready now?! Very nice.