Combination of flow frames and wax frames

If I have a combination of flow frames and wax frames and I remove the honey from the flow frames will the bees transfer the honey from the wax frames into the flow frames?

2 Likes

The bees wont transfer the honey from the wax frame to the Flow frame, what you could do is use the wax honey as comb honey or get the honey out via the crush & strain method. Another option could be to borrow or hire a 2 frame hand extractor. If you have a few spare wax frames you could wrap the fully sealed wax frames in plastic & freeze them till you get a second lot of wax frames so you have a larger amount to extract if you do borrow or hire an extractor.

2 Likes

I found this on the main web site.

Can I separate the three Flow™ Frames I’ve ordered or are they one unit?
In: Frequently Asked Questions Viewed: 3,452 times

The frames are modular, and are operated separately to extract honey. You could buy six flow frames and create two sets of three to put in the middle of two existing supers. When you put them in the middle of your super, the bees will fill these frames first, and when you drain them, they will move any honey in the outer standard frames into the Flow™ frames, so you may find you don’t have to remove and extract the normal frames again.

I got this information from the HoneyFlow web site Frequently Asked Questions section ,so I assume it was from someone involved with the development of the flow frames.
I hope it is correct so I only have to open up the hive for inspections.
When I get my frames I will find out if it is or not. :smiley: