Hi All, I am looking for help and this seems to be the best places to get it.
I have 3 colonies, all within 250mm of each other, 2 colonies have good laying queens, one of these 2 colonies is only a brood box.
The third colony is well populated with bees but has been without a queen for the past 4 weeks and has no brood, eggs or larvae left but has 30% capped honey.
I really only really want 2 colonies, (2 Flow hives), both will be Flow2 hives.
What I propose to do is,
1, Place a metal QE on top of the single brood box that has a good laying queen.
2. Place 2 sheets of newspaper on top of the QE.
3. Place the Queenless brood box on top of the newspaper.
4. Place the top board on top of the queenless brood box.
5. Feed syrup the queenless brood box via the round hole on the top board.
6. Hope that the 2 colonies combine with each other after a couple of days.
My question is, will this method be successful in combining the 2 colonies or will it create massive fights ?
Hopefully this will then leave me with 2 strong colonies, if it works.
All advise will be gratefully accepted. Cheers