Condensation In The Flow Hive

I have condensation in the flow hive as seen via the observation windows both front and side. I have upper entrances with inner cover just above and wood shavings on that inner cover. It has been misting rain for 2 days now and heavy fog the last two mornings. I don’t know if this is normal or if I should look into the hives or not. Anyone else had or dealt with condensation.

Where are you located?
Are you having issues with water on the top board?

…there’s a previous thread on this forum where water ingress and condensation issues have been discussed. This might be one such thread (there are a few) to help you Water and mould in my hive

1 Like

In N Ga the condensation is just on the glass of the observation windows of the flow super but I did find a 1/2 diameter puddle of water on the white board beneath the screened bottom board._

Well, not coming from the States myself, a short online search indicates the dew point and your likely minimum temperatures align (your hive should be a fairly constant temp though, well above the dew point), in addition to the misting rain/drizzle you’re experiencing.

Can you still hear/see your bees? If you can, I wouldn’t be too worried. I’d wait until the misting rain stops and then take a look on your next hive inspection. If you’re concerned about water pooling put an absorbent cloth in between the topboard and the roof. If you’re REALLY concerned consider elevating the front of the hive a couple of mm to ensure good drainage towards the back of the hive (i.e. away from the entrance).

Bees can deal with water, but they can’t deal with flooding. Of course, a dry hive is much better and with less issues.

2 Likes

I searched “condensation” rather than start a new topic.

I’m noticing condensation myself in the middle of our sub-tropical winter. It is ONLY under the roofs of weak colonies. That is colonies that occupy around half of one 10 frame brood box.

There is absolutely no condensation under the roofs of the strong colonies.

1 Like

@JeffH I’m going to assume you’re asking a question…if not, please forgive me.

Looking online the dew point seems to align with your overnight minimums. My guess is that the weaker colonies simply struggle to keep the ambient temperature warm enough throughout the entire hive and the temperature gradient facilitates condensation in the roof space.

It doesn’t sound like a significant concern based on what you’ve typed though.

Hi SFH, yes I agree & no I don’t see it as an issue. It can be an issue if too much gear is left uncovered with bees because mildew gets pretty bad in those areas. The flow roofs don’t help the situation & magnify the problem if they’re not made waterproof by the owner.

I have been finding water on my bottom board in the mornings is this something I should be concerned about. We live in Australia in Victoria the nights are still getting quiet cold still. We just recently done a hive inspection and everything seemed fine inside plenty of healthy brood and honey. There where some queen cells though which I was suspecting the hive could be a little crowded