Good Day fellow BEEKS!
Well today was the first day we have seen over 30 degrees C this Spring. And the bees have taken note! So much so that as I was chilling out in my backyard I saw my main hive swarm off into a nearby tree. Such a beautiful sight indeed
Anyway as I gathered my tools etc to go and collect the swarm back into a new box. I thought I would check inside the original hive they swarmed from & see whether any new Queens were hatching that I could collect before they had their Queen Battle Royal within the hive.
To my great excitement & surprise I was able to find about 10 Queen cells all hatching slowly but surely & I was able to collect the virgin Queens as they hatched. In my haste I even had to squinch a couple new virgin queens as they had been either pre-mature or injured in the process of removal. So woweee 10+ new virgin queens were emerging!
Of course I tried to get as much video footage as I could during the whole exercise. Including the recovery of the swarm & the collecting of the virgin Queens.
The videos below are in approximate order of how things played out these past 2 days…
This is the colony doing their swarm prep the day before the TRUE swarm.
Bit of close up, shows them bearding up as they return back to the hive.
Another close up I took that afternoon.
The next day approx 9.30AM they’re off for REALS this time
They’ve picked their spot & start clustering
Getting thicker on the branch now
This is where I leave the swarm to continue gathering at their own pace & head back to he original hive to start Queen collecting
Here are the remaining 7 virgin Queens in cases
And listen to the lovely piping coming from one of them
OK soooo now I head back to the swarm in the tree & use the method good ol’ JEFF has recommended for getting a swarm to politely make its way onto a frame with BIAS on it (Brood In All States)
But of course I wasn’t patient enough & there was far too many bees to fit one the one frame anyway. SO I just sprayed some swarm commander onto the top of the empty frames in the box I was using th rehouse them, cut the branch, and pretty much shook the rest into the box.
Leaving the branch. After putting the frame the bees gathered on into the new box, I simply cut the branch & moved the bee clump over the box & gently shook the rest in.
The final shake:
Such friendly critters. During the whole process not one bee was aggressive & I received no stings. If I had a steady hand Id be able to pat them like they were a puppy dog.
The concluding Statements
And there you have it folks!