Honeyflow.com | FAQ's |

Directing bee flight path

I got my first flow hive last spring and a few weeks ago split my hive into two.

Unfortunately now my children are nervous to go outside into our yard because of the increased bee activity.

My research has indicated that if I have a fence or hedge in front of the hive entrance, the flight path will be directed upwards.

What kind of grown hedges do you recommend for this kind of barrier? I would have to purchase them from a nursery to have fully grown plants since time is a factor.

Thank you!

Hi @Myinnervision.

I think your local plant nursery may give you the best answer on a particular plant. But in general, the hedge must be about 8-10 feet high to make bees fly above peoples heads. Higher the better. Not sure if nursery would be able supply hedge plants of such size though… Another option is to install some screens (fabric for example) as temporary control while hedge grows.
There is another thing. Having a hedge helps against the stream of speeding bees accidentally colliding with one’s head. But there still will be some amount of bees “patrolling” the area around hive hedge or not.

2 Likes

I agree with @ABB about consulting a local nursery. Some kind of cypress might be good in your area. However, we made a bee enclosure in a community garden using t-style fence posts, galvanized trellis mesh and garage door insect screening. Six feet high was plenty to keep the bees out of peoples’ hair. You could always grow jasmine or some other vine up the trellis mesh.

1 Like

Yes I’m with Dawn here. Your barrier does not have to be that high and does not have to be plants. As long as it is a bit above the height of the hive. Creepers also grow well on fences and some are bee friendly.
Our 6 year old Grandchild just walks in and out of the flight paths. Bees bang into her and go on their way. I tell her not to walk in the bees path, but she forgets sometimes till a few bang into her and she shift her direction.

1 Like

Looks like you have a lot of Eucalypti in the background. E. sideroxylon perhaps behind you hive?

2 Likes

I am not an expert, but when i looked them up, it seemed that quite a few were ironbarks, as you say. :blush:

Instead of a hedge, you could install a frame covered in shade cloth until the hedge gets growing.

Be aware that even with changing the bees flight path, there will still be the odd guard bee that will attack without warning several meters away from the hive. This may never happen, however it can happen. Also make sure the children’s feet are covered because there’s always a few dying bees on the ground.

cheers