Do I paint my Cedar Flow hive while it's assmembled or dissambled? & What paint/oil should I be using please help. Newbie. TIA :)

Oh, as for the roof, I used aluminium flashing the first year during winter… Then decided to purchase a standard flat roof with a galvanised cover and vent holes and use it all year because it was easier. Didn’t look as pretty but it is more functional in my opinion

2 Likes

@Ria I totally agree about a flat migratory roof with a vent at each end. The vents make a better air flow for a cooler hive in Summer and Ria doesn’t really have a cold Winter so I very much doubt the bees will wax up the vents. I think the extra ventilation will make the hive drier and reduce the risk of chalk brood and mold inside the hive
Cheers

1 Like

I am assembling my first hive, hoop pine. We are in SE Queensland, and as a builder I know that it will start to rot very quickly if not prepared / painted VERY well. My tried and true method here is: two coats of decking oil (solvent based, not water cleanup), 24 hrs between coats. I use a heat gun to reduce the viscosity for better penetration, immediately after each coat, and wipe off any remaining oil even if none is apparent. After a week or so, I will paint over with a water based exterior finish. Opaque (solid) would be best, but I am going to risk a clear to keep the wood look. Painting inside and out, before assembly. The oil I use is from Luxury Paints, QLD based, and have been using it for years, on anything that I want to last ‘forever’, including on structures that seemed to be beyond salvage.

People say that you can’t paint water based over decking type oils, but it’s not true. Just make sure that the oil is soaked in, and thoroughly dried.