Do standard 5 frame nucs fit in Flow Hive

Ditto, I’m at my limit now so no more for me… Although…

2 Likes

Chao Weber.

Sorry I do not know your name(s) but last of Weber is okay. True ! My :honeybee:’s can not get a visa to Oz (and that’s good). Mites are such pains so I check mite levels in my hives two methods. Method #1 is called the “Sugar-Roll” (plenty of vids on You-tube if your Internet allows) n Method # 2 í addung a simple clean sheet of typing paper (show my vintage/printer paper). We only use this method during COLD Wx months (Nov-March or April). I have SBBoards on all my hives. I keep them closed all the time but the screen is help mechanical method for reducing mites. Also I always inspect my bottom boards usually weekly or every other week to help stay ahead of surprises n hive issues.

Where I live in the Burbs (Suburbs) we are limited to max of 10 hives. I wish to manage six 8 or 10 frame full hive setup n up to 4 additional 5 frame double to quad (4) high Nucs. My first year back to beekeeping 2016 the 1 extra Nuc was a swarm n used at first of July to inhabit my newly arrived Flow-hive which I quickly assembled n treated with several coats of Tong Oil.

My Swarm Nuc I called Msple Hive. It was 15 frames (3 deep 5 frames by July) when I transferred to my new Flow. We have only a 6 to maybe 7 month flower foraging season at most so I did add the Flow-Super but only got my "girls) to seal the cell wall/cracks (but that is progress) n my bees won’t have to do that work this coming summer. That’s a bonus for season #2 2017.

This morning (Sunday) I have assembled a second 8 frame peaked Garden Style roof. My wife usually does wake up before 09:00 to maybe 10:30 so I do a lot of thing before I have to help her. This way I can clean the house, prep meals, washing n bee projects. You learn to use time wisely or fall dreadfully behind. Soon it will be time to start cultivating my veggie garden. But the soil is still too chilly n damp yet. We first plant our cold crops first like potatoes, cabbage family stuff n greens, also onion, carrots/beers/ n other root crops …

I need another cup of coffee now n must release my hens from their coop as well as check my rain gauges. I’m a volenteer Wx observers thus send in related Wx notes n data to NOAA each morning at 08:00 report time. It helpful information. I have information n data going back many season for Washington State foothills. I grew up here n I soon will be 72 yrs. The nearby city had grown last few years so my country paradise is now changes to smaller properties of urban burbs n lots of neighbors I seldom get to know as they are too busy to socialize or get to know except four right across our property fences. Not like the good old days I knew everyone for miles.

Cheers n have a great week. Thankz for your response. Looking forward to hearing you again n about your growing apiary in Oz.

Gerald

3 Likes

Yeah, I wanted one, read that you should always have 2, next thing I knew I had 4 and a fifth one on the way. Really do not want more at this point considering I have not gotten any honey yet. Last year was the starter year. With 4 hives coming through the winter I would think I will have plenty of honey this year.

Joe

2 Likes