Dogs killed by bees in Australia

Sad story about a man loosing his dogs from bee stings. Im wondering if he walked past during a robbing frenzy. What do you think actually happened here bee think tank?

I think they need to complete the story. “He saw man made beehives” That doesn’t mean the dogs were stung by honey bees. They could have stumbled upon a ground nest full of yellow jackets (wasps) or even interrupted a yellow jacket robbing frenzy of the beehives.

Honey bees don’t attack for no reason; they had to be disturbed.

Typically I see articles that will have “bees” in the headlines and “wasps” or “hornets” or “yellow jackets” in the body of the article. This is a pretty good indication that they don’t know what they are talking about. But it seems to me they seldom do. There is no telling what the truth is.

“If you don’t read the newspaper you are uninformed. If you DO read the newspaper you are misinformed.”–Mark Twain

2 Likes

I always keep my Dogs away from our bees… the bees are in an enclosed area…

one of my dogs always loves it when I’m outside and will follow me around so I have to tell him to stay back, or out…

so he used to watch me from the gate…

but one day while he was sitting at the gate watching me as I disturbed the bees one ended up stining him in the nose opening… with another one chasing him…

I rushed him into the back room with me but then the bee came in with us… so I rushed back out again and the bee came out… then back in and the bee was in… OMG… :joy:

but anyways… I got the sting out and put him on his bed so I could keep an eye on him…

a little while later I went out to check and he was just sitting there looking miserable and shaking… so I brought him into the dining room where he sat at my feet for the next hour or two… shaking away now and again…

but after a couple of hours he came good…

he doesn’t sit at the gate anymore… and if he comes over for a look I tell him to go away…

beautiful dog… he’d rather a Pat than a feed…

I heard a bit of that story on the local radio. It happened not far from me. After reading this story, if the bloke was allergic to bees, he should have given the hives a real wide berth. He possibly didn’t have the dogs on leads.

There’s always at least one cranky hive out of 30. Who knows, the beekeeper might have robbed the bees the previous day, upsetting the cranky hive. The dogs being dogs, a male dog being unfamiliar with beehives may have decided to pee on the cranky hive (marking his territory). The rest could be history.

That’s one theory.

Our dogs don’t care about our bees. They wander about the hives as if they were not there. However, they do not snap at the “stingy flys” anymore :grinning:

Cheers
Rob.