Drone hive? Now what?

Sadly, it probably is a beemeggeddon then, a brood Armageddon. Can you see all those gaps & grooves on the surface of the comb? It’s very obvious if you zoom in on it.

The surface of the comb in the third photo down is nice & straight, unlike the top photo.

Sadly my computer won’t let me zoom in on those photos. Perhaps a MacOS thing. :blush:

Crap! Sounds like a lot of things wrong with this hive haha. Just my luck. The nuc seller is supposedly coming today with a new nuc and to confirm that there is a problem with this hive. Like I mentioned, I had already decided to go with someone else for next years nucs before this happened. So hopefully he can make a clean switcharoo and leave us bee :grin:

Thank you everyone for the help. I have been very needy with all of this, and you guys have all been so great! I will update you if he comes. I’m hoping that he doesnt look in the hive and see the few worker bee brood and say it will sort itself.

Let him take a look inside the hive. If he confirms what I’ve been saying, he may not have a case to answer. Just hear him out to see what he has to say.

The problem could be caused by mishandling the frames due purely to inexperience. This can be rectified in the future with correct handling & manipulation of the frames.

Are hive beetles in your area?

@Dawn_SD, Wilma zoomed in on the photo simply by increasing the zoom to 300%

He just dropped off a 3rd nuc. After looking through the drone hive he said it’s chalk brood. He took off the bottom board and said keep it off for a month.

It’s good that he gave you another nuc. I don’t see any evidence of chalk brood in the crud on the floor or in the frame. Bees don’t chew the comb around like they did in your top photo when dealing with chalk brood. They remove it out of the comb before depositing it outside the hive. A lot will remain on the floor if the bees don’t get rid of it quickly enough.

Is he suggesting to use no floor at all for a month? or to use a different floor? with his thinking that the crud will be contaminated with chalk brood spoors?

It all sounds strange, I’d be checking it daily, just in case I’m right.

It’d be good to get @Semaphore’s friend, Vicki to take a look at those photos.

PS. after taking another look at that photo, without having the correct angle, there could be some chalk brood in some cells which would explain the bloke’s comment. It’s that massive amount of crud on the floor & the chewed comb that looks to me like hive beetle activity. We’ll see.

1 Like

Good to read that he has replaced the nuc and seems an admission that he didn’t do the right thing to begin with.
I couldn’t zoom in on your pics, often I can but some pics it won’t allow for some reason. When Chalk Brood is in a hive I haven’t seen any extra wax rubbish on the hive floor but you should see white/light grey dehydrated larvae bodies on the floor among the wax and even bodies outside the hive entrance and on the landing board. If there is no bodies as described then there is no evidence of chalk brood in my opinion.
I had a bout of chalk brood about a year ago in three of my hives that I had relocated that was really easy to see, as the infected larvae dries out and turns white they can be picked out of the cells with tweezers and doing that will take some time but it helps reduce the spores in the hive. It didn’t seem to transfer readily to unaffected hives.
Cheers

1 Like

Hi Pete, you can alter the print size, so it’s easier to read. That’s the setting Wilma adjusted. I normally have mine on a 100%. Or between 90-110%. With my new laptop, it can be altered on the touch pad. I often adjust it accidentally. That’s what you can use to zoom in on a photo. Expand it to the max of 300%, as I found out this morning, thanks to Wilma.

The hive beetles are very cunning. They chew holes in the comb so they can lay eggs at the base of the brood. The larvae will develop at the base of the brood, eating the larvae under the cap. Until the cell gets too small for all the larvae, then they spill out into the rest of the hive. This is why I advise to check daily because they grow so quickly.

This would explain the larvae Lindsay saw in the crud. It’s probably the larvae the beetles damaged in order to get to the base of the neighboring cells in order to lay the eggs.

I’ve seen it before, just two weeks ago in fact. It was my fault that it happened. I had suspicions that my actions may have caused a problem, as it turned out my suspicions were realized. I was able to readily rectify the problem before it got out of hand.

cheers

1 Like

That crud on the floor- have you by chance put in an old frame- or a damaged frame recently? I have seen piles of crud like that when an old dirty frame is introduced to a hive and the bees go to town on it tearing it down and remaking it. The crud you see when chalkbrood is bad normally looks quite different- not as dark colored and full of grey chalkbrood ‘mummies’. I think I can see some mummies though- so it seems there is some chalkbrood.

It ended up being chalkbrood. I put all brand new frames in there with the nuc frames. They do look kind of like older comb frames though.