Elephants and bees

@ Villi again … How long have you been a beek as you call us ? Just curious. I wish I hadn’t drug my feet getting back to beekeeping but guess anytime is not too late.
As we say in Vietnamese: cám ơn và hẹn gặp lại ! ( thanks n see you later ).

I have actually had my bees since June (7 months), but I learn quick and research loads, even scientific papers I’ve been interested in the bees for about 4 years and when in the UK various groups have done free seeds for pollinators I was given seeds.

I have been with my local bee club since April and been on several courses and bee shows picking up information everywhere

@ Villi, really great to meet you n many others on here. My beekeeping days in Jr n Sr high school n but beyond are only great memories n bit old n moldy. I got my dad interested after awhile so he helped me as he had time.

Dad was skilled wood worker so after we bought the first full setup from Sears n Roback here manufacted everything we needed.

Here’s a pix of the only piece of equipment that remain… The smoker my dad welded or should I say heli-arced using heavy aluminum … I am still looking for several old B/W photos I took in the 1950’s n 60’s.

Great memories. (Vn: ky niem tot lam) … Gerald

1 Like

Now that is a sturdy Smoker “Smoking!!” LOL :heart_eyes:

Yip ! My dad never built or made much with thinking it would need replacing. He was old generation. If it broke n couldn’t be fixed there had to be some other use for it or its parts.

We had up to 67 elephants roaming around our camp and although people liked it, it became impossible to grow anything useful. We were the only family who managed, but I put an electric fence around our house & garden and although the elephants were tempted, the combination of 8000 volt and visual challenges (roadside flashlights, dangling coke cans, flattering tape) made them go away. All other attempts proved futile, the elephants managed to break through heavy fencing, crossed ditches and swam across the lake. We considered bees, but then you need to be sure that nobody is allergic and in a bigger community, that is a tricky issue. I would not use bees as a fence-guard for a school. For a plantation: certainly, but then also in combination with an electric fence.
And good electric fences are safe for people, do not use 220V or something silly like that.
And combine the challenges, I have seen elephants hitting an electric fence with a treetrunk (obviously not enough challenges combined).
I wish you luck, elephants are smart and it is much better to live together and respect each other instead of fighting…