End of spring: no stores, very little brood. Masses of chalk brood

Hi. Further to this post here

I’m at my wits end and have no idea what to do.

My hive has never been healthy and this year has just been in a slow decline with zero stores even though there is plenty of flowers around.

There is now a very little amount of bees, next to no brood, and only 10 or so eggs that i could see. I have never been able to find the queen, although she must be there given the eggs.

What should i do?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Hi Chris, don’t despair, help is at hand. We’re able to help with advice with any situation you are likely to encounter. You need to approach it one issue at a time. We love question, coupled with photos.

You probably need to address the chalk brood issue first. You can click on the magnifying glass before asking any question. For example “how to deal with chalk brood”, “very little brood”, “can’t find the queen” or “I can’t find any eggs”

PS @cirode I realized later on that I shouldn’t have said to fix the chalk brood problem first. But then I thought, “maybe I was correct, because in fixing the chalk brood problem, all the other problems will be fixed simultaneously”.

Thanks Jeff

I honestly dont know what to do. The only thing i can see for combatting chalk brood is heat: I live in a cold area, and possibly getting anew queen.

Unfortunately i can’t do that as i can’t find my queen. What i really need is to be able to pay someone to come around and help me, but i’ve been unable to locate anyone who will do that

You’re welcome Chris. You possibly could research chalk brood a bit further than it appears you have.

Re-reading your dilemma, you have a very little amount of bees, only 10 or so eggs & you can’t find the queen, “although she must be there given the eggs”. That statement is incorrect, on account that workers can also lay eggs, however not fertile, which will only result in drones. The “next to no brood” could also be drones.

Is there a bee group near you? if so, you might be able to acquire a mentor there.

You need to do a lot of reading up of bee culture. One subject in particular would be “laying workers”.

Remember that we’re here to help with any questions, accompanied with photos is always helpful.

You could try condensing the hive into a nuc box. Some queens do better in a small space before they do better in a bigger hive. Use a wooden box or insulated box, not the plastic one people usually sell bees in.

2 Likes

Sugar syrup,every seven days rotation.