Enough comb for day three?

Your English is beautiful, no need to apologize.

If the extra comb is attached to hive box wall, scrape it off and smear it onto your plastic Flow frames. Otherwise, close up and wait another week. :blush:

There is nothing wrong with your English.
As for your hive it is going along well, they will build out the inner frames first close to the brood and that will be used to contain the future brood, pollen and nectar.
Try to let the bees do what they need to with as little interruption as you can. Scrape of any bur comb on the inside of the box.
The dog looks like a German short haired pointer?
Regards

2 Likes

Thank you!

What if I change the position of the frames?
Moving one of the untouched frame (from the left) near the right side of the hive where the bees are building the comb?

Thank you Peter.
They are Weimaraner :wink:

1 Like

You could do that if they are very strong, but it is a stress to the colony when we do that kind of thing. You are forcing them to heat a bigger space. I would just go in once a week and tidy up any extra comb, being patient while they establish their new home.

1 Like

So then they will only work on the frame placed in the position of the frame they were working on. Leave them to build out the comb that they want to build out, bees are often smarter than we give them credit for. Let them build whichever comb they want to as half built comb is no good to them compared to a built out comb which they will then use.
Lovely dog.
Cheers

1 Like

What I am meaning is that 2 half built combs will take the same amount of wax and time to build as it will take to make a fully built out frame. They will not use a half built frame so leave them to build out the frame they are working on so it can be used.
You will find when it is built out on one side the other side is hardly touched but they will get around to building that out to.
regards

1 Like

Thank you both!
I will probably do an inspection this Saturday, then I will leave them for a week. I really don’t know if I can wait that much :wink:
Ok, I don’t move the frames.

Do I have to remove that extra comb or not? Ahahah I’m sorry to bother you :joy:

Is is stuck to the hive box wall? If so, yes, you should remove it, and use it to make the Flow frames more attractive to the bees later - just smear it on with a hive tool, like butter onto bread. Don’t worry about the messy smeared wax, the bees quickly clean it up later.

1 Like

Great! Now I get it! :blush:

Only remove comb that has built where it should not be, the bees will learn to build comb on the frames.
Look at it this way, each time you disturb the hive will set the comb building back for a lot longer than you have the hive open, it takes the bees time to settle back down. Some people will say a 20 minute inspection will cost the bees a days work, I know it is hard but you need to do what is best for the bees as a responsible bee keeper.
Regards
12.30am here, catch you tomorrow

1 Like

Thank you Peter!
Good night :wink:

Hi Luca, So how is it going for you now? Have you bees accepted the Flow Hive frames and working in the super. I added my flow supers and within 2 weeks the bees are up working in the cells so I am confident the bees will fill the flow frames in the Spring.
It is winter here now, the night temps are down to 10c and days 24c so the bees are still busy foraging on native flora bringing in pollen and nectar.
Regards

Hi Peter!

Lucky you have 24c in winter :wink:
Here everything is going great, thanks.
We are in the middle of our summer, dearth period however my bees are still foraging but soon there will be no more nectar around.
This summer is crazy here, a lot of rain so the humidity is very high.

I got the first honey of my “career” from the DB hive, I’m gonna extract it next weekend.

The Flow Hive is running smoothly, slowly but smoothly, I lost the first big flow of the year so the production started late in the season.
However I checked the frames in the super and there is some capped honey in the center, I’m quite excided!!!
I will harvest it in a couple of weeks :wink:

6 Likes

That’s a beautiful frame of honey Luca! Congratulations!

Did you use foundation? I get good results in shallow frames like that without needing to use foundation.

Hi!

Yes I used foundations because the season was already started and I lost the first big flow.
I didn’t have enough time :wink:

1 Like

That is a frame of honey to be proud of Luca, you are up and running.:grinning:

1 Like

Hi guys,

Just a little update.
Here in Italy the season is over, we still have nice temperatures around 25C but in a couple of weeks they should start to drop.
Bees are still foraging and bringing some nectar in the hive, they got a lot of stores and I’m pretty sure they will have a “safe” winter.
Very little varroa however I made the treatment in late August and another one will be done around November.
It has been my first season and although I started late in the season I extracted around 35 kg of honey with one flow hive and one Dadant Blat hive.
I’m pretty happy :wink:

Now it’s time for me to focus on PORCINI :wink:

5 Likes

congratulations! that’s a great harvest for your first year- looks like plenty for you, your family and friends and those porcini mushrooms look spectacular!

1 Like

It is good to see the results of your first season of bee keeping, well done Luca. The bees are paying you back for caring for them.
Regards

1 Like