Video of my 3rd hive check

Hello everyone, this week I did my third hive check of my first beehive. Not only did I find cells filled with honey but also lots of larvea just a week away from becoming a brand new batch of bees.

3 Likes

Lovely to see all that nice pale new wax :smile:A couple of tips. ALWAYS check the underside of whatever you are taking off the hive (feeder in your case but could be crown board) for the queen before you put it down away from the hive.
Your spacing is all wrong, that’s why the frames are stuck together with brace comb. You must push the frames tightly together or they will be in a real mess and you won’t be able to inspect without breaking a lot of comb. Fill the gap at the end with a dummy board.
Nice gentle bees, by the way :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank You for posting this, This was vary vary helpfull. the comments made below were vary helpful as well. For if it is always done perfictly then we will not learn. seeing little and I mean little things up front and comments made about then will help us all learn.

1. comment was made about honey in the cells not suger water. How can you telll.
  2. how would you seperate the 2 frame that are stuct together?
  3. how close is that box to one putting a super on top?

Thank you again.

1.I can’t tell capped fed sugar from capped honey.
2. You have to work with your hive tool to scrape away any extra comb into a bucket or some such. Don’t worry about any brood/bees that come with it or you will be there all day. AVOID the queen, though.
Push each frame tightly against the previous one as you replace it.
3. Super when six frames are COVERED, each side, in brood.

Thanks for sharing!

A coupla things I noticed; SNB. I am pretty sure I spotted a beetle in one of the early shots while you were removing the top and feeder boards.

And as the others have mentioned you have your frames spaced a bit off.

My Father is an engineer, so I hear WAY more than I really want about ‘bee engineering’, but if you haven’t read up on it, you do need to understand ‘bee space’

Roderick talks about it here; Building a hive - measurements in mm

and this has good info as well.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/bsp.html

Looks like you and your girls are off to a great start!

Since I put up this video I cut out the chunk of comb and adjusted the frames. I placed the extra comb inside the barrel which will be their main brood chamber to encourage them building into it. I also checked for parasites and such and at most I found the occasional ant and no hive beetles or other immediate threats. Though I plan on destroying the ant colony near the hive.

Glad to hear that! beetles suck ; -)

This is a bit off topic, but since you posted a video here maybe you can tell me how. I took a quick video (16 seconds) of my bees that I posted on Facebook. But when I tried to post it in this forum I got a message that it was not formatted correctly. I used my iPad to record. What did you use to be able to post your video here?

Yeah, and once you upload onto youtube you can click the upload button on the top it looks like a little rectangle with an arrow pointing up and click the “from the web” option. You could also upload directly but generally youtube is the better option.

1 Like

Thank you! I did not think to upload on youtube first. I will try it.