Exact Differences Flow Hive 2

Hi,
I am new to beekeeping but looking forward to the journey. I am wondering can you add the Flow hive 2 stand box to a classic hive. I have ground that is not level and the adjustable legs etc would make life a little easier.
Thanks

1 Like

Hi David, Unfortunately the adjustable legs cannot be retrofit to the Classic hives, the legs were a later innovation and the Classic hives werenā€™t built to accommodate them. Sorry about this.

You could make a stand yourself with adjustable legs

1 Like

Hi,
Can I dispense with the Classic base and instead buy the Flow hive 2 base that does cater for the adjustable legs? .Is that a possibility?
Thanks for your help
Cheers

Iā€™m afraid not David, however, Iā€™m hoping we will be able to come up with a solution for the classics once weā€™ve caught up with restocking hives a bit. Weā€™ll keep you postedā€¦

Still waiting to order a flow hive 2 base for my classic 6 frameā€¦Needing it to help control beetles that are out of control on my classic frame PLEASE!

Do you have ā€˜beetle blasterā€™ traps that fit between the outer frame and the next one in with a little cooking oil in the bottom. Folding a Chux and stapling it together and sitting on top of the frames will quickly catch SHB as well.
Cheers

Hello @gwen and welcome to the Flow forum! Most of us here are beekeepers using or interested in Flow hives. I will tag a Flow employee for you to get a Flow answer to your plea.

You should be able to control small hive beetles (SHB) without the new base, but I agree it is hard. We may be able to give you some ideas, if you can tell us what you have already done. Otherwise, @Bianca from the Honeyflow team might be able to help you outā€¦ :wink:

Hi @gwen,

Unfortunately the Flow Hive 2 bases wonā€™t work with the classic hives which were designed a little differently.

Some of us on staff here at Flow have used shallow baking trays or similar (replacing the coreflute slider) for the same purpose.

You can also use shallow beetle traps such as Apithor, and Chux wipes also work quite well (if you donā€™t have those where you are they are a fibrous cloth wipe).

Feel free to email info@honeyflow.com if you need any product assistance :slight_smile:

@Dawn_SD thanks for tagging me :slight_smile:

1 Like