Honeyflow.com | FAQ's |

Extreme Bee Box Restorations

I’m restoring some bee boxes at the moment. Some were really bad, some not so bad. After sanding back to bare wood & replacing the rotted parts with donated wood from hoop pine furniture, I’m soaking them in copper naphthenate. Then after that is completely dry, I’ll bog up any gaps before giving them 3 coats of paint inside & out.

I’d say that this next photo shows the most extreme restoration, the box contains 58 screws in total.

4 Likes

Love your work @JeffH Seems a shame to paint over the patchwork quilt of timber. I reckon a coat of stain and they will be fit to be a piece of art in anyones gallery.

5 Likes

Thank you Rod, I reminded myself many times that it only cost $30 to buy new ones :slight_smile: It must be the eccentric, ocd side of me that made me ignore that fact.

4 Likes

I like to see the frugal approach that you take too Jeff. Also see that you buck the trend of the newer beekeepers and paint inside and out. I reckon you need to add a photo of that too…

Adam

LOL, that is kind of Crazy Jeff- but hey: ‘waste not want not’.

Is that tank you are dipping the hives in made of maetal? If so that would serve well for hot wax dipping ‘shallow fry’ style.

You need a bigger shed.:smile::smile:

Thank you Adam, I don’t see any harm in painting the insides of hives. The only thing I suggest to people is to wait until the smell has passed before using them for bees. Plus I want to put a good covering over the copper naphthenate. I will add a photo when I’m all finished in a couple of months. It takes me just under a day to treat each box @ around 5hrs per side.
@Semaphore, that is my honey warming tank. It holds 2 buckets. I plan to have it ready for the start of winter. It was a co-incidence that it holds a bee box nicely on it’s side.
@busso, I agree, I need A shed :slight_smile:

3 Likes