Feedback on Features I am thinking about adding to Hive

I like the screen for counting, not for load reduction. Then I can decide when/if to treat - I use one of those squared boards. I don’t like the sugar shake method - upsets me and the bees. I know it is more accurate, but as my bees are VSH anyway, I prefer not to torture them.

For a mere $40, all of my questions about hive insulation could be answered.

Or you could go to your local university library and make a copy… :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I meant.
I have had insignificant natural drop and thousands after treatment.
Lots of beeks in the UK report similar so like it or not we have to sample bees.

I can’t get to my next local beekeeping meeting, but I will ask what the pros think at the one after that. I haven’t lost a colony to varroa yet, but I am willing to learn.

Dawn

would you have a photo? :slight_smile:

Of what, please?..

Sorry @Dee, I clicked reply to your post but instead of placing the post under yours, it went to the bottom of the thread!
I would love to see photos of your enveloping jacket.

Ok… so I have started modifying my hive. I will post pictures when I am done. Below are the ‘features’ I have decided to add…

• Mineral Oil tray in the bottom board (done, I had to use a router to get a half size baking pan to fit)
  • screen over the hole in top of hive
  • Hole in roof (the front wall of the roof, not the top, for ventilation, I will have a way to close it up in the winter)
  • Move flow frame access latch up 1/2 inch so that it works better
  • Add a metal entrance reducer that will double as mouse protection in the winter
  • Hive stand (as high as possible without being annoying, probably 2.5 feet)
  • honey jar shelf on hive stand that also doubles as a place to hang frames while working with the hive.
  • Put the legs of the hive stand inside a bowl full of mineral oil (to discourage ants)

I should be done with the modifications and stand in the next day or two.

Lorne