Flowering eucalypts

Hiya all, after seeing @busso’s thread on Marri’s I thought I’d start a thread showcasing some of our beautiful eucalypts here down under.
Ok so eucalypts grow in other countries too so let’s share our special species. Perhaps some of you botanists out there could identify them so we know what to look for when planting out our yards.

So to get the ball rolling…

Swamp gum, bees like it however it’s flowering time is quite short

Unsure, very pretty flowers and interesting leaves I’ve not seen bees on the sparse flowers yet.

Unsure but the bees love this.

3 Likes

I started with the bottom photo and worked to the top, Sorry.

Eucalyptus erythrocorys sometimes called Red Capped Gum or Illyarrie[quote=“skeggley, post:1, topic:10023”]

Unsure, very pretty flowers and interesting leaves
[/quote]
Eucalyptus macrocarpa (big flowers)known also as Mottecah

There are many Eucalyps called Swamp gum, this one is Eucalyptus rudis and is very closely related to E. camaldulensis (River Red Gum)

4 Likes

I knew I could count on you busso, thanks, more for you soon.

And happy forum birthday @Cowgirl! :tada:

@Webclan or anyone else who might know, here it is. I thought it might be an ironbark from the mainland. Any ideas? It is not Tasmanian as all native gums here only have white flowers. Double click should allow zoomed image.

1 Like

Certainly looks like the ones around one of our hives, even though they are in SoCal. They flowered in December to February here though. :blush:

1 Like

Thanks Dawn, well yes they are winter flowering here now. I reckon eucalyptus trees are hard to identify :thinking:. I’ll try and get a shot of the trunk and post it. It is a bit ironbarky I’d say.

1 Like

Hi Dan. To be honest, I just assume it is ironbark. Unfortunately it’s very gusty today, so not a good day to send the drone up. The trees won’t hold their crowns still enough to have their picture taken either. Can’t even do my planned hive inspections today, even though it’s nice and warm.
The flowers I see up there are white or cream. Standing on the ground you can’t see the flowers up there at all. I can only see them from our verandahs because they grow below the house.

Your picture shows Eucalyptus leucoxylon Rosea I think. Very nice.

I’m on a mission to learn to identify eucalyptus, because that’s about all we have up here.
Wonder how many types of eucalyptus are called ironbark.

The tree in the center of pic is one of those. Will go now take a pic of the bark.

1 Like

Agree plus 20 characters

2 Likes

Thanks guys,

so South Aussie and Victorian then. Here is the trunk.

1 Like

@Webclan
Fantastic canopy of flowers on yours.

Got the bark photo yet Dan?
Went down to one of the trees and got this

Then I couldn’t believe my good luck, found a low growing branch on a younger tree.

Many flowers yet to open.

So, is this iron bark busso?

1 Like

Hi @Webclan
Yours is different I see, but will wait for @busso to identify! I beat you by a minute or two with the bark!

2 Likes

Snooping around google I found this is definitely iron bark, just not the narrow leaved one.
Oh, and the pollen lack that one elusive amino acid. So iron bark is not all that great for the bees, but makes awesome honey quickly, with the excess of pollen enticing the bees to prepare for swarming. But they ain’t fat bees.
It’s good to ensure the bees have access to other pollen.

Did a pollen check, wonder if anybody can identify the ironbark pollen?
Will post a pollen pic later.

1 Like

So, does anybody know which one is the iron bark pollen?
One of them is definitely acacia fimbriata.

2 Likes

Or maybe more ironbark pollen in this more recent one?

3 Likes

Colour group 3 are almost glowing in that second photo. Like group 5 in the first photo.

1 Like

Crickey no pressure guys.
My guess would be Eucalyptus paniculata. Grey Ironbark. Based on the buds with the rounded top and the leaves. Also native to your part of the country. If you look at the nuts, after the seed has been expelled, the valves should be about level with the rim.

I have some of these ( not as magnificent as your beauties) which I use for in ground poles eg Bee house but my trees finished flowering about a month ago. They copice readily so they reshoot and regrow after felling. And I kid you not, the old heart is a racing when you fell trees the size in your photos.
E.creba, the narrow leaf ironbark, has same buds but as you point out not lanceolate leaves.
All the other ironbarks I know have pointy to very pointy buds and tend to have bluey coloured leaves, but to make it hard some have green.
There are a lot of iron barks and like bluegums mean different trees in different parts of the country. Makes for confusing identification.

edit Typo

5 Likes

Swan River Mahogany or Jarrah in bloom out Bullsbrook way.

3 Likes

Saw more Marri (Corymbia calophylla nee E.calophylla) further South toward Margaret River. Odd branches on odd trees. I hope they are a bit more organized in Feb-Mar when they normally flower.

1 Like