Fondant in winter

I am wondering how to feed fondant at this time of the year without chilling the bees. Newbie here, and I understand that the fondant goes on top of the frames. That would mean opening up the hive for a few minutes.

I think they have stores for a good while now, but I’m thinking next month they might appreciate a top up.

Winter here has hit and our temps are at freezing during the day and around 23-22f during the night. I’m hoping it won’t last tho.
I’ve put blankets around the hives as well as a top quilt. Seeing no activity or hearing humming is scary!

Thanks in advance.

You should be able to hear humming if you put your ear to the side of the box, or better yet use a stethoscope. If you can get a Flir camera you’ll see heat if the clustered colony is alive.

Go ahead and top them up as often as needed, better to have a few die of chill during your brief intrusion than all die of preventable starvation :wink: Just try to do it on least windy/most dry & mild days, in the middle of the day or so with some time left before the temp drops further at night so they have a chance to rewarm the space.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the advice.
I’ll do as you say when the time comes.

1 Like