Hands up who has increased their Honey Consumption

Before bees we (2 people) consumed around 1 Kg of honey in 6-8 weeks.
Currently we are consuming 1 Kg in 3-4 weeks. :astonished:
Not saying it’s good or bad but who else has increased consumption?

4 Likes

God yeh!

Before the hives we rarely bought it as the good stuff was a bit expensive. The ordinary stuff was just that, ordinary at best.
But now!

Going to start using it in cakes as can’t really get rid of the stuff.

1 Like

Hi Busso, I can put my hand up, we certainly use more honey than we would have before we started keeping bees.

2 Likes

2 years ago - I’d be lucky to have eaten 1kg in a year… These days I go through that in a month! Which still leaves me with a huge excess of honey.

Every day now I eat a tablespoon in my super smoothie… (todays: dates, cashews, sunflower seeds, almonds. banana, honey, parsely, mint, squeezed oranges, olive oil, mandarin, strawberries, raspberries, cranberries, goji berries, shredded cocunut, cinnamon, water: incredible!)

Years ago I heard honey wasn’t that good for us- just a lot of calories- but it turns out all sugars were not born equal:

according to new research- honey is VERY good for our good gut bacteria- which in turn helps with so many things:

3 Likes

Hell yeah. Honeycomb on toast. Could never affor that before! Now there’s always one open.

Lemon and honey and apple cider vinegar every day… yum!

2 Likes

If you have an excess of honey, there are likely some local homebrewers who make mead that would be happy to help… :grinning:

Out of interest: how much mead can you make from a kg of honey?

Depends on the recipe, but between half and one gallon (2 to 4 liters).

1 Like

Christmas is only 4 months away.

2 Likes

Simple answer: 2.8 litres if using a ratio of 25% honey to 75% water for a medium sweet mead, the key is to use a Mead yeast, many of the champagne or wine yeast consume all the sugars and leave a slight medicinal taste… not pleasaat at all…

3 Likes

Ah-ha! That might be why my first taste of mead (made by an acquaintance) was like cough syrup - wrong yeast used. Interesting…thankfully I’ve had my concept of mead smartly corrected since then by @Cowgirl, who gave me some of hers - fabulous!

And re @busso’s question, my hand is definitely up - comb honey on toast every morning :honeybee::two_hearts:

2 Likes

So glad to hear this, my initial experience of Mead was something similar, then I tasted a homebrewers Mead who was winning awards and it was sensational, like a well-aged sherry… no going back now… though have not yet managed to create anything fantastic as yet… work in progress! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Exactly!! And aging is clearly the key

1 Like

My mum made some mead last season from some left over unripe nectar/honey. I was surprised that it was more like a dry white wine than a syrupy sweet drink- I think I was expecting a desert wine type thing. I’ll have to ask her what type of yeast she used. Hers is still aging away.

1 Like

The yeast does help but the honey ratios in the mix is what determines dry or sweetness.
For dry a ratio of 22% honey to 78% water
For sweet its 30% honey to 70% water
These are measured by volume, you have to remember that 1kg of honey equates to about 0.7 litres. Hope you are good with maths, I have a conversion sheet I have written up for my demi-john sizes to help me.

3 Likes

possibly. that kind of research requires some expensive testing to verify.

a good direction though!

We three were eating 500gms a fortnight, and now we’re happily chowing through 500gms a week. It goes in the yoghurt, the cake, the herb teas, we munch the comb, friends eat it, visitors want it, … and i would like to taste mead.

1 Like