Honey Recipes

Thank you Jake for setting up this topic for me :smile:
I have old 1930’s honey recipes from my grandmother and a recipe box of sweet recipes I have collected over decades. I also inherited her 4 recipe boxes and 3 of my mother’s. My grandmother started off as a teacher & was let go during the Great Depression. Honey was more economical to use over sugar. Later in life she became the first female school principal in South Bend, Indiana. No one was a beekeeper, but cooking with honey gives food a moist sweetness that no other sweetner can do.
I realize that the units of measurements are not universal. I will try to do conversions but please check behind me.

The first recipe I want to share is one she taught me when I was little:

Honey Cookies:

1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (or less)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or more!)

Set oven at 375 degrees
*Beat first 4 ingredients on medium speed scraping side of bowl until smooth.
*Stir in remaining 4 ingredients.
*Drop by teaspoon fulls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
*Bake 7-9 minutes until just set and light brown around the edges. The top of the cookies will still be shiny.
Honey cookies are very soft. Let them set 5 minutes on the cookie sheet before placing on a wire rack with a metal spatula.
If you don’t eat too much dough, you should have about 3 dozen cookies :wink:
My grandma kept all of her cookies in tins with wax paper inbetween layers to keep them soft.
Please share your honey recipes too for all of us to enjoy. :sunflower::honeybee::honeybee::honeybee:

6 Likes

Yesterday I made a heavy Honey syrup using about 4 tablespoons honey and water to just cover honey and placed on stove top to just warm and stirred till disolved and removed from heat. After this I ladelled syrup into freezer packs filled with fresh pitted and squished Apricots for a sweet dessert or pie filling later on. After packed and cooled all was placed in freezer. These were left over apricot from a half bushel we bought. Left over was after my wife had made almost two gallons of apricot preserves. I think I used about 18 apricots to freeze with honey syrup. Possibly not a real recipe. Feel free to remove if it doesn’t fit the criteria.

5 Likes

What a great idea! It fits this topic perfect. :blush:

Here’s an interesting article I came across today.

http://www.mockingbirdmeadows.com/2013/11/19/reasons-you-should-never-cook-with-honey/

I attended a recent presentation from the University of New South Wales where they performed an in depth study into the microbial effects of honey in the gut. They were able to demonstrate that the beneficial gut bacteria was able to thrive within honey versus the bad bacteria (such as the those that cause diarrhea) which did not thrive at all. This study was part of the honey industries efforts to study the effects of the leptospermum and manuka honeys. It found all honeys had a beneficial effect in the gut with Jarrah and Manuka/Leptospermum being the best but more importantly the effects were not altered by so called pasteurization and in fact the honey was heated to 120 degrees Celsius (well above pasteurization temps) with no change in the effects on microbial activity. In other words the heating did not alter the complex sugars needed by the gut bacteria to thrive. The recommended dose for a healthy gut was a tablespoon a day.

5 Likes

Growing up my mom always made our whipped cream with honey, and I love the flavor of it. I however made it for my baking and pastry chef instructor at culinary school some years ago and was scolded rather harshly for my choice of honey for the sweetener. I bit my tongue but I wanted to have some choice words for her. They beauty of it is that it dissolves perfectly in the cream and it will never be grainy like sugar can be if it doesn’t fully dissolve.

5 Likes

She was just jealous, because she didn’t think of it.

1 Like

Okay I have to be the first to bite on this classic

Honey Butter
1/2 C Room Temp Salted Butter
1/2 C Honey

With a beater or mixer, whip butter and honey until light and fluffy. Serve with hot biscuits or rolls.

This recipe might be a touch sweet for some people but it’s my favorite ratio. If you like it a little less sweet reduce the honey by 1/4 C and increase the butter by 1/4 C.

5 Likes

Those of you in the forum probably know this but we have many people new to beekeeping and honey usage.
Honey is very beneficial iside and out. Our veterinarian uses honey on animals that have had surgery. I use it for cuts and scrapes because honey has anibiotic benefits.
*However, if honey is baked, heated up too much, the beneficial qualities are negated.

2 Likes

I just came across this recipe. Unlike other jam recipes, it calls for no sugar!
When I have time to make it I will share a photo.

2 Likes

My grandmother used to make “special” cough syrup that really worked.
Years later I found her recipe card
honey and whisky :wink:

4 Likes

I have a very simple honey recipe (raw honey, of course) I keep some honey in a squeeze bottle. I also have a squeeze bottle of my home made home grown ginger syrup (you’ll find it on youtube). I simply squeeze a little of each over cut up fresh fruit: pineapple, passion fruit, black sapote, mango, lychees, pawpaw, any fruit for that matter. It also goes well on pop corn, cereal.

1 Like

I melt the butter and heat cinnamon and nutmeg in it and let it set back up and then beat the honey in
 And on cornbread
Oh YEAH.

My favorite tea with honey is an infusion of fresh or dried mint, ‘coins’ of ginger and the peel off a meyer lemon, steeped in boiling water and then sweetened with honey. That, concentrated, is an excellent cough syrup and tummy soother!

2 Likes

Honeycomb recipe the Aussie bush way. This will be one for the recipe book for sure.

and while viewing this video, check out the Top Bar Hive where the comb honey is pulled from. Love the look of this hive.

1 Like

I’m definitely going to try this one. I love toffee which this is more or less similar to just more fluffy, and with honey
 how can you go wrong

Here is another fantastic use for honey; chocolate ganache for truffles.
Its amazing how well the honey flavor comes out with the chocolate.

For any other aspiring chocolatiers out there, here is my recipe:
honey ganache:
450gr C823 Callebaut’s milk chocolate
1/2c heavy cream
2T unsalted butter
1c honey

Bring cream and butter just to boiling in a heavy pan, take off heat, add honey and chopped chocolate and stir slowly until melted and smooth.

Use as filling in moulded chocolates, or roll and dip to make chocolate truffles.

6 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous!! You’re a pro - what a beautiful sheen on that chocolate. Thanks for posting on this old thread, i missed it before and now I have wonderful Christmas gift inspiration. :slight_smile::+1:

1 Like

Upgraded the honey truffle molds with bee patterned transfer sheets this year:

6 Likes

Wow, those are absolutely spectacular! However, I need you to ship some to me for quality control inspection immediately
 :rofl: :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Hey Simon, I’m curious if you have made pure honey or creamed honey centres in your chocolate? We make them here and have noticed that about 10% leak honey through the chocolate and am completely puzzled as to why this happens. The chocolates are enrobed and not done in a mould.