Honey super empty

First box was full i added a second. It quickly filled and i added a honey box this had been on for 4-5 weeks now. There are lots of bees in the supper butno comb or honey. Queen is present. Fall is fast appoaching. Do i remove the super? Leave it on hoping for a bit of honey? Second box is full. We have had rain so i aded sugar water to supplement for a few days. Any suggestions. I’m really hoping to have the colony survive the winter and split in the spring.

Hi Troy,
Although you can add as many brood boxes and/or supers as your colony strength and local conditions allow, we recommend adding your Flow Super to a single heaving brood box to start with, once the Flow Super is also well established you can then add an extra brood box or super as suits your conditions. Please feel free to email info@honeyflow.com if you need any further product assistance and the team will be glad to help.

It could simply be that there is not a flow on in your area. When you put the second broodbox on there was a flow by the sounds of it. Bees will only build the comb they need depending on weather and flows.

I would not be surprised if double broodboxes are standard in your area. Are there any local beekeepers in your area that you know? If so, ask them but considering your long, cold winters I would expect doubles to be pretty standard. Its really hard to give more than general advice from the other side of the world where we have very different challenges.

Cheers
Rob.

If you’re feeding sugar then you do t want to collect/harvest that anyway.

As goldenrod and aster flow is probably almost underway, you might take the syrup off and see what they can do but otherwise, plan to remove the super for the winter in the next few weeks.

Alternately, you could take the super off now and let them pack honey away for the winter and then just plan to add the super to your overwintered colony in the spring.

Also, strongly consider checking your mite counts if you haven’t already and making a treatment plan for now and for late December/early January if you want to increase their chances of overwintering successfully.

1 Like