Hot weather - more space for ventilation?

I’m expecting the temperature to be 41⁰C (106⁰F) this weekend. I’m wondering whether to add ideal supers to give the bees more space and ventilation?

I recently caught my swarm so now have 2 hives. The caught colony appears to be stronger than original but both have flow supers on and the supers are 1/2-2/3 full when I checked last weekend. Brood box frames are all full of capped brood in the middle frames, honey/pollen on outer frames. The caught colony has a fuller brood box less filled super (1/2 filled). I live near the bush and the gum trees are in full bloom (heaps of spotted gum this year), wattle trees are even doing a second round of flowers, jacarandas too.

Looking for advice whether I should add ideal boxes on before the hot weather this weekend and whether I should add it in the middle (above brood box) or on top (above super)? Thanks in advance!

Has anyone tried using these Woolpacks for insulation in or over their beehives? I’m wondering if putting it under the gable roof and/or over the outside would also keep the heat out. I get these with my meat packs. According to their website they can be reused for beehive insulation: Planet Protector | Reuse and Disposal

I think insulating the hive would give more benefit than adding room or ventilation. Shade would also help. Anything you can do to cool the outside of the hive will be a benefit.

I don’t like added ventilation because it allows more hot are into the hive. The bees air condition their hive via the entrance, as long as they have access to water.

I can’t see that adding another super would help, on account that more bees will be required to air condition the extra space.

In the Youtube video “City of the Bees”, they show how beautifully the bees air condition their hive during hot weather. Once you gain an understanding of that, you will no longer think about added ventilation.

Thanks Jeff, I watched that video - after seeing you recommend it on earlier posts - thanks. It’s very fascinating!

Thanks for the advice, I won’t worry about adding an ideal for ventilation. l’ve added these Woolpacks on the outside…not sure how effective they are and probably need to figure out how to strap them down but hopefully they do something to help cool things down for the bees over coming days!

1 Like

Hi & you’re welcome Liyi. I’m sure that the insulation will help. If that tree is providing shade during the hot part of the day, that will also help.

Ive had a few warmer days and my Carniolans have been flying in considerable numbers in close proximity to thier landing board. Even under the shade, the cedar timber does naturally absorb the heat. Together with this, online info does mention that Carnies do not cope as well in the heat as other variations.

In contrast my Italians in a white langstroth hive were in business as usual mode. Just something ive picked up while observing.

My thoughts are that the bees will require a means to reduce the ambient tempreture surrounding the hive in the days of extremes. So shade is key to shield them from the harsh sun, a cool water source will make a prudent difference in thier efforts at tempreture regulation inside the hive.

Years ago I was working in the cooper basin, and the region i was in gets naturally hot. This particular day was hotter than usual. I was pumping the hydration. And as i was looking around i saw cockies sitting next the machinary. Sitting directly so that they stood in a line under a 100mm strip of shade. Had I had a camera it would have made a spectacular photo. But i was focused on the task at hand. It was obvious that the birds were heat stressed so we gave them water.

Bees are like us in that we all have the same needs in the days of extremes. I fell into a moment of heat stress in the same job, i lost muscular strength. My vision turned to the old analog black and white fuzz. Before turning black, Nausia enveloped me and before i knew it i was utilising all my strength to walk ino the cool inside an airconditioned room.

over time this restored my bodies ability to regulate tempreture as i was in the shade, a cool environment and last but not least cool hydration.

Like us and the conditions we can at least tolerate, If the bees have these same conditions then it best enables them to regulate the living space of thier hive. The workers will exert a great amount of energy in cooling. Everything we can do helps thier efforts a great deal if they have the conditions to protect them on a day that would otherwise place their entire colony at risk.

I hope this helps and is an interestng read for everyone. Keep cool in the extremes folks :wink: