How close can I ride a mower to my flow hive

We have a hive in a Community Garden. It has a 6ft tall flyover barrier around it, but some gardeners are still nervous. For those people, we put a cheap veil in the tool shed, which can be put on in about 2 seconds.
https://www.amazon.com/Mosquito-Outdoor-Clothing-Military-Protection/dp/B017VRPO4Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1509816378&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=insect+veil&psc=1
It is not perfect, but it is good enough to prevent stings to the face without getting fully suited up. Our bees are actually very docile, and nobody has reported a sting to us in the 18 months that the bees have been there. That is despite manure etc being spread around. The veil just makes the nervous gardeners feel more secure.

I would guess that being perfume-free will solve your issue, but you could always try a veil like this if you wanted.

1 Like

Thanks. I will try that veil. I was out gardening yesterday but felt a little jumpy when the blow flies and March flies were out. I will get over it. I don’t mind getting stung. Just the last three stings have been on the head. :grin:

I have a tip to share if a bee starts hanging around. Just bow your head & don’t exhale heavily. Exhale into your hands. The bees target where we exhale co2. If they can’t figure out where we exhale from, they will eventually give up & fly away. Unless they are in complete attack mode. In that case, we don’t have time to think of that, we need to think about removing the sting quickly.

3 Likes

Hi Dawn ! :blush: I see my name is used in vane again (just kidding) … have at it. I’ve got broad shoulders n a leather butt !

As for my buzzy headed friends. We get a lot of those. They are new students n newbees in a Beekeeping class I work with. We check them all over head to foot for openings in the beesuits but I draw the line to go around sniffing each student ( hah, hah, L.O.L.)… it’s a process of learning for them :blush:

We usually have multiple hives open at a time so often not a peaceful Apiary situation! It gets to be a real buzzzz … and often students stand right in front of the hive entrances too. Piles of bess coming home land on them :blush:

I perso…nally try not to smell to good or delicious ! Not sure about the cow pies Jeff ! The city has kind of limited that issue for us as they cut down our trees n destroy our once farmlands nearby.

Well Birthday boy is now 72 n I’m cleaning up the kitchen from yesterday’s :confetti_ball: .

IMG_7381
Cheer :wine_glass: everyone,
Gerald

4 Likes

Well done Gerald, happy birthday :slight_smile: that cake looks delicious. No cow pies?

Tell those newbees that in front of the entrance is the proper place to stand :laughing:

Happy Birthday, dear Jerry @Gerald_Nickel !!! Thank you for the photos. Hope you had a wonderful day. :cake:

Much affection,

Dawn

Dawn,

It was simple n very nice ! I bbqed steaks n baked :potato:… Don’t need big party :tada:!

Tonight my Vietnam family taking me out for Thai food. I think there will be 6 of us if Vera feels well enough … she’s having a so so day … (not terrible n not great)… we get a lot of those days.

I love a lonnng birthday (multiple days). I don’t plan on another 72rd B-day … cooking a meatloaf for Sunday Supper today … yummy. Lots of eggs, veggies n bread crumbs !

u.

Cheers ,
Jerry

1 Like

Yummy, one of my favorite foods. Actually much Thai and Vietnamese food I can eat without problems, as they don’t use ordinary onions, and not much garlic or wheat. Great stuff! :blush:

1 Like