How do I answer this criticism/concern about the Flow Hive

and they still hate milking machines :grinning:

I can euthanize a chicken in less than two seconds… two cuts less than 1/2" apart… debrain, followed by carotid… and they taste good…

1 Like

Well done:) you two ladies wouldn’t happen to be related by any chance, would you:)?

oh my I have been looking for someone that can do that as I can’t and I have 150 laying hens the vast majority are not laying any more and I can not do that. So I feed a lot of birds.

My husband euthanized a poor hen with single shot, and we left her for the coyotes and buzzards. The coyotes got the others. The rest flourish. Totally understand their feelings and sense of loss, our flock is somewhere between pets and farm animals. Not for eating, other than the eggs. Would love goats but don’t have the time to take proper care of them. Maybe at retirement.

2 posts were split to a new topic: I’m a newbee, what is a warrhive?

Hi RBK
Thanks for the link. It is indeed a great asset for learning. I’m a woodworker so the different construction methods of hives as well as varible ways to raise bees will help in my education.
CK

In that case you may find the following information on Warre frame types I put together useful

It includes CAD drawings of the different frame types discussed in Warre’s book.

Thanks for sharing. What is the purpose of a follower board? Is it a spacer for adding feeders?

Has anyone flow hive big farm ?

Hello! I appreciate the blog address that you attached.
I see the responss by others on that particular blog already seem to answer, or debate well with the criticism of the flowhive. It is closer to $1,000.00 Canadian funds for a hive where I live, and I will most likely modify a Warre hive with the flow.

RBK,

Not seen a Warres Hive up close n personal. I quickly read your link … Interesting concept but not my bag I’m thinking.

We have bad mite issues here so not sure how the beekeeper would monitor mite infections if the boxes are only added to but not checked n inspected. With the Warres system it would be impossible to pull a frame, shake nurse bees frim it n perform a sugar roll check. Or maybe I’m missing something ?!

I think I’ll totally stay with my Langstroth hive system. At least I can pull frames to check n treat if needed. Any thots … I’m open to
Learning !

Gerald

Hi Jerry, Warre hives have removable frames just like Langstroth hives. The frames and boxes are a bit smaller, but you can certainly inspect and treat as needed. :blush:

1 Like

@JeffH I spent 2 hours at the hives today checking them and all was great, comb being drawn from the foundation and nectar and pollen that was not there a few days ago. Couldn’t find either queens but they are laying well so I’m not concerned. They are super quiet and showed little interest in me, I even changed the base boards over, very little smoke needed. I’m as happy as a pig in mud.
Found some that seem to not know much but too shy to ask questions and some who have hives and are in a panic as they don’t know as much as they thought they did. Seems they think the bees will die if they don’t do something, but what. Best for the bees is to leave them alone and they will sort out most problems.
I have come across the skeptics re the Flow Hive, little do they know the Flow Hives were tried and proven long before they were announced and put on the market.
See you a bit before 4pm tomorrow.

1 Like

Hi Peter, that’s good news. It was a hot day for extracting 11 boxes of honey in my old age. I think it’s going to get to 31 again tomorrow.

On the subject of the flow hive. I’m frequently hearing of people who want a flow hive because they think that all that’s involved is turning the key to let the honey flow.

Lots of people think that harvesting honey is the main part of beekeeping.

Yes I look forward to seeing you tomorrow, cheers

1 Like

Ha ha, if only. I have just spent two days learning lots of things at a beekeeping conference. The learning never stops.

3 Likes

Some people think the honey is everything ignoring the fact that the bees need a strong colony to forage for the nectar. They miss the whole point of bee keeping. The weakest link is too often the hive owners not doing regular hive inspections and maintain a healthy and vibrant colony.
Thanks so much for today and thanks Wilma for dinner, really enjoyed myself.
Regards

3 Likes

You are most welcome Peter. Those bees were clustered on the wall early this morning, however 5 minutes ago, they were all in the box. Remind me to tighten those frames up this afternoon. I forgot about it last night. …cheers

Yes I too have also come across “Hive Distrimination” but I just remind these delicate beings Henry Ford went through the same thing and look where he ended up,!!! unless they are Holden people, lol lol Open eyes and acceptance would be nice but for some people change is scary and that I respect, we are all wonderfully different. I love my Flowhives, the ease in which I can harvest wonderful health honey, minimise Bee death and it has improved my produce amazingly !!! Best mediation is watching the Bee’s come and go, just BEEAUTIFUL :star_struck:

2 Likes

Does one need a flow hive to get good mediation while watching bees come & go?