I have 14 flow hives, all leaking too much

Flow hive related bee keeping.

Hmm, wanted to create a topic, didn’t work.
Just wanted to say I have 14 flow supers in action and can’t extract any of them without major leaking.
Yes, they are at the correct angle, they are fully capped.
I now have to take the flow supers off to extract above a capping box.
If all that honey escaping into the box would hit the brood frames, I think once in a while it may even kill your queen.
I wish I knew what to do. I need to employ help to lift the flow super off.
The leaking issue is a big one.
I get 2kg from a flow frame and 1kg in the box leaking. Some are worse than others.
Help!

Hi @Webclan,

How old your frames are? Could it be a cable stretch requiring re-tightening?

1 Like

These flow supers are purchased over the years, from the beginning every year up to flow hive 2.

We didn’t have much of a flow last year, and this year it’s crazy full on. I kept the flow supers on all year, as there was still some food in it for the bees.
But they have not been extracted for about a year or more.
But now they leak too much.
About. Half in my jar, the rest through the brood box, causing major bearding.
I need to take the flow supers off currently and extract above a cappings box. That way I can capture the leak, which comes up to as many kg as I extract via the tubes. Nearly.
Something is wrong here.

Looks like it is not uncommon problem. Check wire tension. Probably @Freebee2 may help.

That doesn’t sound good… could you please email info@honeyflow.com so we can troubleshoot this issue with you?

My theory is, leaving the flow super on even in the subtropics, there is a chance of honey candying in the flow frames, therefore blocking the flow and fresher honey leaking out the cells sidewards.
I now take the flow supers off over winter.

2 Likes

Hi Webclab, Honey candying could indeed be causing a blockage in the Flow Frames perhaps some of this has partially candied over time. How long would you say you have been leaving the honey on between harvests? One troubleshooting method we have found to effectively work out a blockage of this type is to open and close the Flow Frame repeatedly, which massages the crystallised honey into a granules that can then flow out with the more liquid honey. However this wont work with fully candied honey.

Can you please let us know if you have still been experiencing leaking while harvesting the Flow Frames on the hive? Or is is only while they are off the hive (or you only harvest off the hive now) We do find that this method of harvesting almost always results in leaking, as honey becomes thicker, wax more brittle with capping easier to split, Flow Frames flex if not supported fully, which can create a gap in the honey trough for honey to drip out of.

When you harvest insert the key just a quarter of the way in and wait to see if this leak, try it on the hive, if you notice leaking dont harvest further and remove the Flow Frame in question to send us pictures of this info@honeyflow.com, it is easier to follow up via email communication. But if you do wish to add an update to this thread definitely do.

The method of portioning a harvest, opening a quarter waiting for it to drain and then opening another quarter, stops the honey trough filling to capacity and having honey back up in the cells, reducing any chances that honey will have to take the path of least resistance out of an uncapped cell.

Hi Kieran, yes, still getting bad leaking through the brood box. Doing all the right things, flow super on brood box just this spring, opening in increments,
I only placed a few flow supers out this season, else using other boxes.
Still love the flow honey for its aroma.
Cheers.

Did you tighten the wires on the frames?

2 Likes

Are you allowing the honey to drain before opening the next increment? It is a key part of combating leaking if there is an overflow from uncapped cells just above the honey trough.

Have you examined the Flow Frames looking for excess wax, or crystallised honey residue?

2 Likes

Hi Kieran, I still believe after viewing this photo over 5 years ago that wet caps will fracture before dry caps, which is what appears to be happening, if you look closely at the photo.

cheers

1 Like