Inspection on Install of Fully Packed Nuc

We just installed a 5 deep frame nuc on Sunday evening. It was packed full and only had about a quarter of each outside frame left to fill. They appeared to have already started making swarm cells which were removed.
Anyway, we put them in a deep box with 5 additional empty frames. I have a feeling they’re going to expand rapidly. How long should I wait for our first inspection to see when we need to add a 2nd brood box?
I wasn’t sure if I should leave them very long before our first post-installment inspection.
Located in the midwest, USA.
Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome Kelly! I think in context with the transfer and new location this could succeed. I don’t have experience with this particular situation - swarm prevention/management is a bit different for established colonies - but my guess is that your queen will resume laying soon. You should check in a few days to make sure, and also be ready to super that bad girl :star_struck:!

Keep us posted! Especially if you happen to see more swarm cells when you check…

Thanks so much! I didn’t want to over-disturb them while they get settled but I didn’t want to wait too long either because they were already wanting to move out. I’ll give them a couple more days. Can’t wait to see the work they’ve done!

1 Like