Some of you may remember that yesterday I posted, seeking advice as to whether to add flow frames or a medium super to my two month old hive. I also sought advice from my local mentor on what the flow would look like in the coming weeks.
Since I knew I would not have time to assemble and oil a new box before we leave on vacation, I didn’t really have to confidence to play Robin Hood by myself, and my mentor assured me that, barring something unusual, the flow should be strong for quite a while, I made the gut decision to add the Flow Frames to my strong hive, knowing that I can always add a medium super when I return from vacation. It would also make the family left behind feel more comfortable knowing that they wouldn’t have to worry about the bees while I am away.
I decided to “entice” the ladies by rubbing some relatively new burr comb (sticky with nectar still) on the frames before installing.
It was quite an easy install. Simply removed the roof and inner cover, added the queen excluder and flow super, replaced inner cover and roof! A snap!
By the time I had the roof in place and removed the front and side viewing panes, there were bees already in there poking around! Ten minutes later, dozens! They could be coming in the top entrance, or making their way up through the QE, but either way, they are exploring…
This is what I saw through the rear window just minutes after setting the flow frames in place!
And another from the side:
The white stuff is the slightly sticky wax I tried to rub on the frames. Seems to be doing its job.
Anyway, it is too early to tell, but so far neither the QE nor the plastic frames seemed to deter exploration.