Installing a Nuc - Rest time?

Hi,
I am picking up a nuc for my new hive this Saturday morning and am planning to install it on Sunday. Does this sound ok? I have read multiple conflicting reports on how long to wait for installation. Some websites are saying wait 10 days while others suggest to do it as soon as possible.
Sorry if this has been answered previously, I tried to read through the posts but there are so many :slight_smile:
Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the Flow forum! :blush:

I have done it at several intervals. Bees do not like being shaken around during transport. Nor do they like their home being torn apart while you relocate the frames. But generally they are tolerant, as long as you don’t interfere too much all in one go.

I would suggest this. As you are picking up the bees in the morning, you could transfer them any time from later in the afternoon on Saturday, to anytime you like on Sunday. Ten days is far too long, in my opinion. I have had nuclei building burr comb on the transport hive walls and laying eggs within a day or two. You really don’t want that. Plus the bees need to make cleansing flights. If you leave the nucleus closed up, they can’t do that, and they may not be able to cool the colony effectively either. I open an entrance on the transport nucleus about an hour after putting them into the apiary, next to the hive they are going to be placed in. Then they can get their bathroom breaks and get used to the new area. Do not put them too far away from your new hive location - a couple of feet or less is good.

Suit up, use gloves and a bit of smoke (not too much). Be gentle and slow in your movements. Take slow gentle breaths and enjoy the fascination, but don’t take too long, so the bees don’t get too upset. Put the frames into your new hive in the same order that you removed them from the nucleus, then put any empty extra frames needed equally on both outer sides.

Go inside, take off your suit, pat yourself on the back, and have a nice cup of tea, or glass of wine while you congratulate yourself. Then don’t go back into the hive for at least a week, unless you saw something concerning when you moved the frames over.

Easy peasy. You can do it! :wink:

8 Likes

Thanks Dawn! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my query, sounds like great advice.
While I have an expert at hand, I have one more question if you don’t mind: My hive came with an entrance reducer that I was planning to use initially, potentially removing as the bees increase in number and then replacing in winter for warmth. I don’t think I have many bee predators in my area though so is it worth using at all?
Thanks!

2 Likes

For new nuclei, an entrance reducer is a great idea. Keep it to no more than about 5cm wide until the new colony is strong and the landing board is looking very busy. That way you will avoid robbers from feral or other local hives. Good job with your questions, and good luck with your new hive!

:blush:

5 Likes