Honeyflow.com | FAQ's | Community |

Interesting way to get bees to make "pre packaged" honeycomb honey

Tony can you pls provide the contact information for the US manufacture of the Hogg System

I did not get a response.

There are Australian suppliers of comb packaging systems which fit

into a standard sized frame to allow bees to make comb and fill
with honey. You then remove from the hive and put lids on both
sides.

Tony

I had great success this year with my bent wooden sections:

Eva,
l did this with some comb honey last year… what was interesting was the outer liquid honey set in a fine creamed manner while the comb honey stayed clear!!
Have you any thoughts on that… would love to know why.
Sue

Sounds like the outer honey just crystallized, maybe more smoothly than usual? And I guess the honey that remains inside cells either never would or would take longer because it’s not as exposed to air.

What a perfect, tidy square of comb! Are you selling those - I bet they’ll go fast.

I will be once I get surplus, but I have to make sure I have enough to last for myself and family through the long cold winters first! Our preferred breakfast is a slice of toast with almond butter and a slice of comb honey.

All these prepackaged honey comb ways are great, but the way things go, one way use plastic is a no no no. Bad idea to invest any more into plastic packaging, unless it can be returned, washed and reused.
The bent wooden sections by @sbaillie are great, yet, the packaging is plastic.

How else can one pack honey comb? Any ideas?

I looked at glass jars, but the sizes aren’t right.

Absolutely. I have seen the War on Waste series and that opened my eyes to plastic and how it is choking our planet to death. And I don’t say that lightly.

I like the idea of mason jar Supers. Anyone can make them and you use glass jars for pre-packaged honeycomb honey.
Or couldn’t you use bent bamboo etc, and then transfer to a glass jar if you don’t want to use plastic?

@Faroe, exactly my thought, bent bamboo slivers. The glass jar size suitable isn’t invented yet though, I’ve been looking and put plasdene onto it. Haven’t had the time to experiment with the bamboo yet. We have many types of bamboo growing, one of those should work.
My concern would be mould.
It’s not so much that I don’t want to use plastic, but the local health food store doesn’t want my comb cases because they have a policy for not accepting single use plastic packaging any more.
I agree with that policy.
People could return the plastic bits for reuse. Another option.

The mason jars are cool. But imagine the poor bees working inside those jars on our hot days. No air circulation. And how do you know if there are hive beetles between the jar comb if all you do is put a lid on?

Without plastic, honeycomb packaging needs a total rethink.

image https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiOwpHrpJ3gAhXBSg0KHabFCfAYABAQGgJxYg&sig=AOD64_1tqnK5HIV_BliaSaxwYwK84_pomw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiy0orrpJ3gAhUQZd8KHTPXC3MQwg96BAgKECE&adurl=

I’ve been using these to store and give away comb honey. In addition to the side clips, they have rubber seals around the rims. One friend said a little bit leaked during air travel (she wisely put it into a ziplock baggie). But overall I think they look good and perform well. People can reuse them for just about anything! My daughter packs school snacks in them, we put leftovers in them, and I even have my Flow tubes & caps stored in one!