Interesting way to get bees to make "pre packaged" honeycomb honey

No, I haven’t yet. Bees are filling up the flow hive very slowly, so haven’t gotten around to putting the cassettes on yet.

I always reuse the plastic containers. The square one in the photo cleans up well after use.

This guy has a great solution:

Check out all the options on the site:

http://www.karpinter.net/en/comb-honey

6 Likes

Found another fantastic site full of incredible ideas; really wish I could speak Russian!

Check out these gorgeous comb sections, and the website.

http://www.nashe-pchelovodstvo.ru/forum/54-725-3

3 Likes

or this nice packaging from another Russian site.

http://miniramki.ru/

new_korzinki1

main_korzinki5

2 Likes

wow- that website is amazing- so many interesting images and ideas.

what’s this- an army field bee hive?

for rapid deployment drone warfare?

Or loose the bees into a vent before storming a defended position? Spetnaz special equipment? Or is it frames of honey as special energy rations for front line forces?

2 Likes

You’re funny Jack. Apimondia 2021 will be in Russia.
I know many won’t go because of war memories and/or current politics.
No idea why Russia was chosen to host apimondia.

I would love to see the results from a super like this - would they build a single comb across the upturned bottom of each jar?
http://www.rusuley.ru/glavnaya/dlya-ulev/comb-honey-in-a-jar-a8-k9-detail

There you go! :slight_smile: From start to finish. Some people fill jars with honey too.
Single or not depends on jar size. Bees apply same spacing rules as for usual honey combs.

3 Likes

That is stupendous. I’ve got my next project sorted. Probably going to need to start thinking about a 2nd and 3rd hive…

1 Like

Lovely video! I especially enjoyed hearing the birdsong in the background. @Joshua_Cromarty keep us posted if you do get this going!

I’m going to source some jars I can make a box for, but in the meantime I’ve melted a little wax to the bottom of an old pasta jar and placed it over the hole in the top board, covered with a plastic flower pot with the lid propped up on styrofoam. Bees immediately swarmed in to investigate, so we’ll see how this little experiment turns out.

Honey with pasta aroma? Why not? :grinning:
Usually those old jars are not the best choice for honey storage. No matter how well washed somehow they manage to retain old smell :garlic:

This is true, I think it’s the rubber seal on the inside of the lids. No amount of boiling, soaking in vinegar, bleach or scrubbing with dish soap can seem to overcome the leftover spaghetti aroma :spaghetti::nose:t2:

The jars themselves clean up just fine. I buy spare mason lids and toss the originals.

1 Like

Yeah, it does smell garlicky. I just want to see if they start building from bare wax or if they require the foundation runners like old mate used in the video.

What is more, the treacherous behaviour of those jars. First few days everything seems fine. But then, a question rises. Is something wrong with my liver or the honey really smells somewhat like dill pickles? A few days latter, yes, it is honey, definitely honey. Yes, and even the label on the lid says “dill pickles”… shy2

1 Like

There is an opinion that bees don’t like smell of garlic. But, anyway, it would be interesting to know how it would go without wax foundation.

Yes, I kept wondering as I watched that whole fiddly procedure whether it was really necessary…

Figure I’d best update on what I’ve done even if the bees haven’t had a chance to do anything.

4 Likes

Looks good! I like the idea about using hexagonal jars as well. Not sure, however, how successful it could be at this time of the year though.
Probably it worth to add good thermal insulation too. Thing looks like reasonably efficient heat exchanger :grinning:

1 Like

What would you recommend as insulation? There’s just air between the jar-bottoms (tops) and the copper-sheet roof and I’ve been thinking if something to deal with the condensation that has picked up on the ceiling after those rains of late. There’s a bit of mildew which doesn’t want to quit and tried drilling vent holes but the wood is quite damp.