Is This Wax Moth?

Hi all hoping everyone is keeping well.

This is a bit of an update on my last post and a potential new issue.
In July the hive was not doing to well (low numbers of bees) I removed the flow super and began feeding, all was going well numbers have vastly increase. Today was the day I was going to place on the super again. However when I removed it from the container I had stored it in I found some grubs and maybe eggs only on one frame, is this wax moth ? What do do next ?
Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers Dave.

1 Like

Yep. Wax moth.

Just brush of the silk and rinse out the frame to get rid of the excrement. Leave them out of direct sunlight and give them a day or two to dry out and then use them as normal.

Don’t use hot water. Use warm water at best.

This is one of the worst issues we’ll actually face in our neck of the woods. We should be grateful.

2 Likes

don’t leave flow frames in direct sunlight- the UV breaks down the plastic.

2 Likes

Thanks Guys,
Ended up freezing the frames overnight and giving a good

wash off and dry. I immersed the box in a tub of water and vinegar for a couple of hours and allowed to dry overnight. Just placed the super back on, the brood box was heaving with bees. Already bees have moved into the super, let the fun begin. :smile:
Cheers Dave

3 Likes

You might like this link for future reference:

Freezing
All life-cycle stages of the wax moth, including eggs, are killed by freezing at the following temperatures and time-lenghs:

−6.7C at 4.5 hours
−12.2C at 3 hours
−15.0C at 2 hours.

It is important to commence timing of this treatment only when the hive material or apiary products have reached the recommended temperature. A number of hobby beekeepers have purchased small freezers and find freezing an excellent means of protecting their combs.

After freezing, the combs should be stored in a moth-proof environment to prevent re-infestation. Sealed, strong plastic garbage bags provide a good insect-proof storage environment.

Combs that have been frozen and then placed in untreated supers for storage are immediately at risk to infestation because the supers may contain wax moth eggs. It is best to treat the super and combs and then place them together in a sealed plastic bag.

Cold rooms
The use of cool rooms to store combs and protect them from wax moths has become increasingly popular in the beekeeping industry. A temperature of 4°C will restrict wax moth activity.

1 Like

I am a newbie and this is the Tray from my flow hive can someone give me their opinion as it looks like we have SHB and Moth activity

1 Like

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/animals-and-livestock/bees/pests-diseases

Take a look at that page

1 Like

They look like wax moth larvae as well as dead hive beetles. Have you done a recent brood inspection? If so, how does everything look there?

1 Like

Looks like there are spines and legs - I’d go in favor of SHB larvae, especially given the dead adults present but I can’t tell for sure from the photo - could be wax moth larvae instead or in addition.

Thanks,
we will be doing another inspection this weekend

I am afraid that I agree with @JeffH - wax moth larvae and SHB adults. The red heads and sheer size of the larvae make them much more likely to be wax moth larvae. This is the sign of a possibly weak hive. Needs careful management with not expanding too quickly, maybe an extra frame of capped brood from another hive, if possible.

1 Like

Maybe they’re just big boned! :flushed:

1 Like