Jelly Bush honey in Flow Frames

Tried the hair dryer idea too and even low temperature oven with door open - no joy.
Has anyone tried taking the tension wires off to separate the components? - im assuming thats too risky and it would be difficult putting back together.(and still the honey may not drain)
Just to clarify - you place the individual flow frame 50m away and this prevents hive robbing?
Is 20m too close? Sorry if i sound ignorant.
thanks

1 Like

A good question Peter which I can’t answer from personal experience. I’m maybe over cautious as I have about 25 hives together covering the area of maybe a car garage area but have about 700 sq. metres of area available so I have settled on that distance of 50 metres from the hives as a very safe distance and never had an issue. It will be ok for a Flow Frame, a box of stickies you want cleaned up prior to storing away, anything that needs honey cleaning off.
I’m really lousy at gig-saw puzzles and been lucky that I haven’t had to dismantle a Flow Frame, I think it might be easier than I think, yeah, right. :thinking::wink:
Your not ignorant with your question, no question is stupid if you don’t know the answer, this forum is here to pass on knowledge and tips as well as to bounce ideas about. I’ve had bees for about 45 years and I’m still learning, just when you feel sure about something the bees will change the goal posts, and even the game. That is what makes bee keeping so interesting.
Cheers

1 Like

@Frank9 take a read of this thread. It might be helpful for you.

Thanks Alan, have looked at this and will have a look at flow frames on sunday,lots of wind and low temperatures until then.
Regards Frank.

1 Like

Visited the local beekeeping supply shop in lake macquarie and discussed the flow frame drainage issue. I mentioned my plan of removing the flow super & putting a traditional hive onto the brood box.
He suggested i try placing the flow super onto the traditional framed box and see if the bees took the honey from flow hive and used it to fill the traditional. Have done this & I will be interested to see the outcome.

2 Likes

What should happen is that the bees will build out the frames in the tradition box fitted below the super then move the honey down from the Flow Hive super so that you can look at the problem and if it because of Jelly Bush honey then maybe just use a traditional box when there is a Jelly Bush flow happening.
Cheers