We have full frames this year, but only 1/3 of what we expected to come out.
Upon closer inspection, the honey is bulging out from the frame. (All frames are fully capped).
So my quesetion is, how do we get the honey out of the frames as it is not flowing down where it is supposed to? It is not crystalised and I have tried opening and closing the frames with the key several times.
The 2 possibilities I can think of, apart from crystallization is: #1, Jellybush/Leptospermum honey.
or #2, Brood had been raised in the Flow cells. The leftover cocoons will hinder the honey from flowing. The 1/3 that you did get could be from the honey arc above the brood. This scenario happened to a client of mine.
After we found brood in the Flow frames, the honey would no longer flow out of them, except for maybe a third as you describe.
It sounds like Tea tree honey which doesn’t really flow. It’s nickname is Jellybush because the honey sets like jelly in the frames. I get it early in the year up here in Buderim, in traditional frames. After regular honey has spun out, the Jellybush honey will remain in the cells, unless it is mixed with regular honey. When that happens, my regular honey finishes up with the beautiful taste & aroma of the almost pure Jellybush honey that I’m able to scrape out of the frames.
PS, this is an image to show what I find after extracting when Jellybush honey is around.
It is indeed delicious! We did not harvest at all until now, as we were worried about the bees not having enough - many other bee keepers down here in Melbourne had a poor season - and it is the honey at the top of the frames so that make sense about it being early honey.