Major Advice Needed On my NewBee Mistake

I did my hive inspection today June 5th. I had a wire foundation that separated from the top of the frame once I pulled it from the hive. The whole frame full of honey, brood and bees just rolled up in a log and fell to the grass.

I replaced the frame with a new frame full of foundation. I picked up what was left of the foundation and placed it on top of the rest of the frames. I placed a super on top of the brood box and put the lid back on.

Has anyone had this happen and what did you do?

Please advise on my big newbee blunder.

Thanks,

Dan

Update 6/5/18 - After reading on the forum about people dropping frames and using rubber bands to secure the comb. I went back out to my hive rubber bands in hand, I started placing the comb back into the frame and securing them with the rubber bands. The bee’s were not happy but I was able to mend the frame the best I could. It’s seems the bees will be able to fix my mistake, fingers crossed!

Thanks to this FORUM and the advice from the pros on this forum, I’m hoping my mistake will BEE forgiven by my buzzing friends.

7 Likes

Well done. I would have recommended rubber banding, but you probably already know that. :blush:

1 Like

I don’t know what Dawn is talking about, but if I were you, I’d just rubber band the comb back in place :rofl:

5 Likes

Do you rubber band goat tails like the Brits do with lambs’ tails then? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No but the boy goats get a rubber band when they are about 6-8 weeks old if we don’t plan on using them as a sire :wink:

2 Likes

Owwwwweeeee!!! :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Hey Red,

I was waiting in the bleachers smirking … you didn’t fail me. Been there done the elastic process many times on the farm. Won’t say on here about the hogs. Not really Bee Friendly ! :grinning:

You made my evening,
Gerald

3 Likes

Hey Jerry @Gerald_Nickel, did you have popcorn too? If so, was it honey-toffee popcorn? :smile:

1 Like

Thanks Dawn, I stocked up on rubber bands, size #32 works great for the frames.

2 Likes