Missing middle frame, bees have built their own

Hi there. We are new to beekeeping, with flow Hive. We have had them for just over 3 weeks. On checking brood box yesterday, we realised that the middle frame is missing, so the bees have made their own frame, which is basically comb and nectar. It is all very full and sticky, making it hard to remove frames to check. We have just put the Super on. Is this the right thing to do, or should we try to remove middle section?

Do you have 8 frames in the lower box? If so, the problem was that you didn’t have the frames all pushed tightly together (shoulder to shoulder) in the centre of the box. If you only have 7 frames, that is different. Either way, I would remove that extra “creative comb”. If you don’t, it will only get worse, and make a huge mess in future when you try to inspect. You can rubber band it into an existing frame if any of them have space to do that. Use the search tool top right of this page to look for rubber band posts and photos, so you know what I mean.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks Dawn, appreciate your advice. Kind Regards Ange

1 Like

Yep I agree with Dawn, clean up the brood box first. The bees are building up this time of year here it’s a good time to get blooded and make a mess. :wink:
Once you get into it it’s not so bad.