Honeyflow.com | FAQ's |

Move hive to a Flow hive?

Hello! I am so new and nervous, feel like I have no idea what I’m doing…. We purchased a Flowhive but wasn’t able to set it up in time to use it. We installed the nuc into a different short box. Is there any way I could set up my flow hive and move them into it?

1 Like

You got this. Get suited up so you feel safe, light your smoker and go slow.

Move your temporary hive to the side. Put your new flowhive in the exact spot and orientation the temporary hive was.

Transfer the frames over in the same order and close up.

You won’t need the flow super yet but likely will need a second deep box after your first brood box is full.

5 Likes

No worries - temporary rigging and on-the-spot problem solving are part of what make beekeeping fun! There’s always some new situation to figure out - once I had a caught swarm housed in a beer box for about a week until my new gear came :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Wow!! Thank you! I didn’t think we could do that… but it sounds easy enough. I hate the thought of getting our new Flowhive and having to wait till next year to try it out.

One other thing that I don’t quite understand how to do… the Nuc we got was in a shallow box. How can I put those in a deep box? I don’t think I’ve seen any setups where the bottom box was shallow and the next was deep. I don’t know if I can put the shallow frames in with deep frames in a deep box?

It all sounded so easy when we took the class… but now seems so confusing! I just want the best for our bees. They are so awesome and adorable! I love getting suited up and being able to stand among them!! So incredible!!

Thank you so much for your help!

Wow! I can’t wait to have that kind of confidence to do something like that! That must have been fun!

Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Any chance you can measure the height of the box? I suspect that it will be a Langstroth medium. Some people use 3 medium boxes for brood, rather than 2 deeps. In that case you just transfer the nucleus to a medium box, then decide whether you want to stick with all mediums for brood, or put a deep on top when they need more space. :blush:

This one is sold out, but here is the concept:

Do NOT put shallow frames into a deep box. The bees will likely extend the frames down, but when you inspect, the comb will probably fall off and could squish your queen. :cry: You can put a deep box on top later if you want to. Mixing box depths is no problem, as long as you have the right frame depth in each box :wink:

3 Likes