Moving to a new hive

Wow that is great. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Hi & your welcome Adam, I guess as far as storing honey in the frame is concerned, I’m thinking they’ll probably shape the comb upwards for the last few millimeters. Anyway at least we know that we don’t have to worry so much when doing a cut out.

Yeah I think that is really valuable information. I appreciate you doing the little experiment.

It’s a good reminder that the bees thrive sorta despite us and what we do with them. They are just so tenacious, given half a chance and enough flow, they will overcome so much!

Not that this is so much Jeff, don’t mean you are giving your girls a hard time here ; -)

1 Like

Hi & thanks Sara:) yes tenacious would be an understatement after what I’ve seen over the years. However it appears one thing they can’t overcome is the dreaded SHB, I got called out yesterday to a new beekeepers bees. He robbed the honey the day before, yesterday the bees were all outside the hive. I discovered all the brood frames were recently shb affected, no shb larvae yet. It was a really strong hive, I got it all sorted out for him, the whole time wondering what I’m doing that he’s not doing. All I could come up with was the fact that I’m using 9 frames in my 10 frame supers & he had 8 frames in an 8 frame super that must have been packed a bit closer, not allowing the bees enough room to chase the beetle. It all happened when he robbed the honey. It’s a mystery. I had hives with tighter fitting 8 frames before with no problems, as long as I keep the colonies strong.

1 Like

Hi Adam, we talked about brood sideways & upside down. It never occurred to me to put it face up or face down. I found a bloke with a flow hive who inadvertently placed the brood face up. The bees completed & capped the brood.

So basically at a pinch, you/we could place the brood at any angle whatsoever & the bees will still finish it off.

2 Likes