My bees look like they are chewing a second exit

A long story short, I had a full hive with a near full super. I moved them to a flow hive and kept the near full super on top, my thinking was that they would use the flow frames faster by having to go past them to get to the super, this seemed to have worked a treat. I placed the flow hive lid on top of the old super there was a tiny gap that I originally didn’t notice which I didn’t really worry about as it was too small for them to get out and I figured they would just fill it in, but looking at it today it looks bigger and there is now a slight curve to the gap. When I look closely it looks like they are chewing the wood away to make a second opening.

should I leave them be ? Or close the gap
Would it be a problem having 2 entrances?

1 Like

Hiya Steven, that is fantastic - you figuring that your Flow super might fill faster because of the added super on top of it. This was advice I got from @Dawn_SD here awhile back and it worked a treat last summer for me too :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

About the second entrance, this will help the bees convect air in and out to cool the hive. After trying this out per @JeffH’s advice and seeing the bees lined up in fanning brigades and do less bearding, I changed all my hives to double entrances. You can pop the reducer out, cut off a small piece and replace it into the middle so two openings are left at either end. Then those chewing bees can get to fanning :dancer:t2: If you can get close enough without bothering the guards, you can put your hand near one side and feel the air moving out!

1 Like

Thanks for that, it was something I had considered, I may raise the roof a little and add some mesh to help then air it
Because it is at the back where I will be using the flow I ideally don’t wont them using a rear entrance, I have been meaning to get some insect mesh (solid) to put under the roof so that I can open it up more but not have them putting comb in the roof space :+1::grin:

Adding space/vents could help, or could disrupt - in nature honey bees use cavities with minimal cross ventilation so that they can best control the climate inside, using small openings they either add to, block off or widen according to the overall configuration and population.

2 Likes